Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a road bike and it has started to make a creaking noise when I press (even sligthly) on the right shifter to downshift...When finally shifting, the sound seems like a bird and it shifts a bit slowly

When I touch the cable that goes to the rear derailleur I hear the sound but it's impossible to know where the sound exactly comes from...

I don't know if it's really clear (not an english speaker) but tell me if it's not...

Thanks!
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
John.B said:
I have a road bike and it has started to make a creaking noise when I press (even sligthly) on the right shifter to downshift...When finally shifting, the sound seems like a bird and it shifts a bit slowly

When I touch the cable that goes to the rear derailleur I hear the sound but it's impossible to know where the sound exactly comes from...

I don't know if it's really clear (not an english speaker) but tell me if it's not...

Thanks!
Depending on the age of the bike, it could be either a worn or dirty BB cable guide. The front wheel kicks up a fair amount of road debris that can build up there and cause problems similar to what you describe.

Ideally, remove the cable and guide and clean (or replace) both, but I've just removed the cable and was able to clean the guide while installed. Before reinstalling the cable, you can put a very small amount of grease on it, but I'd remove any excess. I usually put the grease on my fingers and run the cable through, then run the cable through a paper towel.

A couple of other possibilities? The r/ der cable hanging up somewhere in the housing or the r/ der pivots sticking.

Park Tool rear derailleur overhaul:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=76
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PJ352 said:
Depending on the age of the bike, it could be either a worn or dirty BB cable guide. The front wheel kicks up a fair amount of road debris that can build up there and cause problems similar to what you describe.

Ideally, remove the cable and guide and clean (or replace) both, but I've just removed the cable and was able to clean the guide while installed. Before reinstalling the cable, you can put a very small amount of grease on it, but I'd remove any excess. I usually put the grease on my fingers and run the cable through, then run the cable through a paper towel.

A couple of other possibilities? The r/ der cable hanging up somewhere in the housing or the r/ der pivots sticking.

Park Tool rear derailleur overhaul:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=76

I bought it a couple of months ago (it has 1000 miles on it) so it shouldn't be a big problem...

I haven't taken a closer look at that thing but I have a feeling that it could be the problem...I will take a look at it soon

thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I simply turned my bike upside down and used a toothbrush to clean the BB cable guide and....problem fixed!

It's amazing how sometimes big noise = small problem ;)

I really appreciate your help!

Edit: The reason why I had a good feeling that it was the problem is because sometimes I've heard the noise while standing on the bike (and not even touching to the shifters)
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
John.B said:
I simply turned my bike upside down and used a toothbrush to clean the BB cable guide and....problem fixed!

It's amazing how sometimes big noise = small problem ;)

I really appreciate your help!

Edit: The reason why I had a good feeling that it was the problem is because sometimes I've heard the noise while standing on the bike (and not even touching to the shifters)
Glad it worked out for you, John. Now ya know for next time! :thumbsup:
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top