Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Upfront I’ll apologize if this is in the wrong the forum. I’m not sure what has changed and I’m looking for advice.

I’m an avid biker. I’m in decent shape: (history) I either run 4 miles a day or jump on the bike for a good 1 solid hour with a Spinervals (ect...) workout. My chief concern here is not gaining weight. I’m 33 years old and I don’t want to gain any more weight. I don’t want to win races or compete, I just want to continue doing what I love without getting soft in the middle. Hence the religious workout routine. I stick to it, 7 days a week. I don’t take any days off. I’ve done this for the past 2 years with no problems.

It seems like this spring, (the last 4 months) I have been completely devoid of any power. I’ve come to dread my daily workouts but somehow (mainly through my fear of gaining weight) I persist and endure through the daily grind.

The reason I’m seem to dread my workouts is because a general lack of power. I find myself fatigued, and unable to have any power, I actually can’t seem to achieve my heart rate or speed from all my previous data.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Burnt out

Man! It sounds like you are burnt out. Take a few days off. Even the Pro's take scheduled rest days. Some may only do hills 1 or 2 times a week. Your muscles need to recover. You can try added cross training to mix up your workouts. Try swimming, Kayaking, hiking etc.. Have a variety and most of all have fun. It also sounds to me like you need to take it easy on yourself physically and mentally. Remember working out too much is not always burning fat. Go by how you feel not how you always look.

·
Colorado Springs, CO
631 Posts
You are burning yourself out.

Take it easy for a while. if you want to not gain weight, then look at your diet too. Exercising a lot isn't a free ticket to the Country Buffet or other local cholesterol center.

Go look on the 'net for base metabolism calculators. Then go to mypryamid.com and map out yourself a sensible diet. One will tell you how many calories you burning and the other will help you make up the foods to make the calories you need each day. And, to keep your energy up.

Maybe go see a Registered Dietician or sports medicine nutritionist. They can hlep you put together the "plan" for your goals without burning up the insides. You keep doing what you are doing now and you'll be an emaciated ghoul looking rider.

·
Registered
595 Posts
dpayne said:
sounds like you fit all the descriptions of overtraining.Do a google on overtraining and what you find, I'm sure you will be able to relate to what you read.
yes, and it's supposed to be fun.

dump the cyclocomputer and just go out and ride with a friend. talk some and have a good time.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Your'e fried!

If youv've been doing this for two years solid without a day off i would say your body is at the point where it may never recover. Take a long recovery off the bike. Take at least a week off and then try a week of recovery rides. Several years ago i had a friend who ran the London marathon, she loved it and the training so much she continued the running after the event to keep in trim. She would run up to 17 miles a day. After a period she suffered with exhaustion, lack of sleep and generally everything that points to overdoing it. She still continued to run until she was diagnosed with ME. She now cant run at all.
Take the time off whilst you still can or you will start putting on the pounds when your unable to do anything. Stressing the body for such long periods of time is a very dangerous thing.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Yup. I wouldn't even use the phrase "burned out" so much as the true medical condition of overtraining. Do you use an HRM? One way you'll see some indication of overtraining is that you'll be running a higher heart rate, even in the early parts of your workout, than you used to.

If weight gain is your primary concern, then just modify your diet a bit and spend some time doing very easy low heart rate spinning in front of the tube and going for longer walks (not runs). Just a few days' recovery should make a big difference, and then don't forget to work in BOTH a rest day and a recovery day every week for a while (recovery day means easy ride, rest day means none).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.