Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, right now I am in the process of buying a pair of Sidi road shoes. I have tried the Sidi Mega sizes and they are just way too big for my heel area. With the regular Sidi sizes I am right between a 44 1/2 and 44 for a perfect fit. The 44 holds my heel perfectly but feels just a shade small perhaps in the toebox area. The 44 1/2 feels perfect in the toebox but my heel slips a bit when I tried them on. What would be better to live with, a slight bit of heel slippage with the 44 1/2 or a slightly smaller than ideal toebox with the 44?

Also, is a bit of heel slippage ok and normal for a road shoe, or perhaps even a good thing? Thanks.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
i personally like a shoe that keeps my heels nice and snug, and my toes some space to flex.

one thing to keep in mind is that your feet swell, so avoid a super snug shoe when you're trying them on.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
velonomad said:
Hello, right now I am in the process of buying a pair of Sidi road shoes. I have tried the Sidi Mega sizes and they are just way too big for my heel area. With the regular Sidi sizes I am right between a 44 1/2 and 44 for a perfect fit. The 44 holds my heel perfectly but feels just a shade small perhaps in the toebox area. The 44 1/2 feels perfect in the toebox but my heel slips a bit when I tried them on. What would be better to live with, a slight bit of heel slippage with the 44 1/2 or a slightly smaller than ideal toebox with the 44?

Also, is a bit of heel slippage ok and normal for a road shoe, or perhaps even a good thing? Thanks.
See if you can try them on a trainer at the shop if you can. You will probably find that your heel doesn't slip at all when you're pedaling if the amount of extra room is truly minimal.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I wear the Sidi Mega's, but put in a bigger insert

The Sidi inserts are flimsy and cheap. You may want to try using a slightly thicker insert in the shoe and see if that helps the decision. I can wear the regular Sidi's, but only with the standard insert and as my feet swell up they are not comfortable. The Mega's gave me more toe room but are a just a little wide. The thicker insert makes them perfect.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
cthomas said:
The Sidi inserts are flimsy and cheap. You may want to try using a slightly thicker insert in the shoe and see if that helps the decision. I can wear the regular Sidi's, but only with the standard insert and as my feet swell up they are not comfortable. The Mega's gave me more toe room but are a just a little wide. The thicker insert makes them perfect.
That's been my experience exactly. Actually, I like Shimanos better, but their wide sizes are not quite wide enough for me. Dr Scholls inserts are decent. Spenco gel inserts are better, IMO, but they're harder to find. Either one will firm up the fit.

·
Registered
841 Posts
velonomad said:

Does it have to be a Sidi? Sidi makes some good shoes, to be sure, but if they don't fit your feet then they don't. The synthetics don't stretch much, but it may be that a shoemaker/shoe repair shop can force a little extra room for you if you need it. Personally, I'd try on some other shoes.

Or you might try another model--sometimes they just fit a bit different. Trying Sidis on over the years, I felt as you do--that the megas were just a bit wide for me in the back but the standard models too narrow and low in front. I had better luck with Carnac and Northwave. A few months back, the clearance table at the local Performance had a 75% off sign on it and two sets of shoes in nearly my size. Whereas the standard Sidi (genius) in a 42 is a bit small for me, a pair of Zeta Carbons in a 42 seemed to fit really well. They were marked down to 39 bucks (brand spanking new) so I bought 'em. So far, so good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts