Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Folsom City Blues...
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey good people,

This may be a dum qestion, but, as you know or not. I just brought my C'dale R 1000. When I got her home Sunday, I was too tired from two days and nights in San Francisco to really notice that the rear wheel has a black plastic disk about 7" in circumference between the cassett and spokes. :rolleyes:

I think it may be there to protect the hub from debris that may fly off the cassett. I usually see these plastic disk on lower end bicycles. I've never had a disk on my rear wheel before. Is this common for bikes this days? :mad2:

I think I'll take it back to the LBS where I made the purchase and have them remove it the next day or so... :D

Peace

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,318 Posts
R 1000 said:
Hey good people,

This may be a dum qestion, but, as you know or not. I just brought my C'dale R 1000. When I got her home Sunday, I was too tired from two days and nights in San Francisco to really notice that the rear wheel has a black plastic disk about 7" in circumference between the cassett and spokes. :rolleyes:

I think it may be there to protect the hub from debris that may fly off the cassett. I usually see these plastic disk on lower end bicycles. I've never had a disk on my rear wheel before. Is this common for bikes this days? :mad2:

I think I'll take it back to the LBS where I made the purchase and have them remove it the next day or so... :D

Peace
By law the "dork disk" is required to be there when the bike is sold to you. In theory it's there to keep your rear derailleur from going into you spokes if the RD is not set-up properly.

·
Folsom City Blues...
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the heads up! I make sure it's all done right and have them remove the dork disk...

Peace :aureola:

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
R 1000 said:
Thanx for the heads up! I make sure it's all done right and have them remove the dork disk...

If you take it to the LBS they may not take it off for you. Its a liability thing. Same goes for any reflectors.

Just cut if off yourself.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
R 1000 said:

If your chain goes up and over the rear cassette and you are riding - umm, it's all over for you pal! :eek:

I managed once to get my mountain bike chain over the rear cassette - but I was starting out at an intersection and realized what happened and quickly got off the bike.

·
Registered
19,427 Posts
actually..

Room 1201 said:
By law the "dork disk" is required to be there when the bike is sold to you. In theory it's there to keep your rear derailleur from going into you spokes if the RD is not set-up properly.
its placed there to guard against the chain falling off the top of your cassette and into the space between teh cassette and spokes if the RD is not set properly...its called a spoke guard... the RD hanger hangs well below the guard, especially on a triple....its there to guard against potential problems with loose cables, etc. when the bike is new...if the chain lands in that spot, expect an abrupt halt to your ride, destroyed spokes, and a LBS bill to relace the wheel...with that said, you may want to keep it on until about 500 miles and a new bike tuneup when the cables are stretched and everything is dialed in. after that, get rid of it and make sure your RD is shifting properly all the time...no worries.

·
Folsom City Blues...
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dang! Now y'all tell me it's suppose to be there! I just had the LBS where I made the puchase remove it today. The tool at the LBS took some time to adjust the RD.

I asked the sale's rep way it was taking so long to remove the dork disk.He explained to me that the tool was making sure that the RD was functioning correctly. I was also told to bring the bike back in about three to four weeks from today for more adjustments...

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
Wrench

R 1000 said:
Dang! Now y'all tell me it's suppose to be there! I just had the LBS where I made the puchase remove it today. The tool at the LBS took some time to adjust the RD.

I asked the sale's rep way it was taking so long to remove the dork disk.He explained to me that the tool was making sure that the RD was functioning correctly. I was also told to bring the bike back in about three to four weeks from today for more adjustments...

I think the term you were looking for was "wrench." Enjoy your new bike.

Ride Safely.

Joe

·
Folsom City Blues...
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
santosjep,

Yup! your right. I couldn't for the life of me remember the proper term. Wrench, I'll make sure and remember and keep it straight from here on end. Thanx for the heads up...

Peace

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.