Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
That hub takes a screw-on freewheel. If you have "cassette" rear cogs you can't use them on that hub.

It says "cassette body type" in the description but the pic shows a screw-on freewheel type hub.

And in the hub title it says "Freewheel".

And it's for a Schrader valve.....yada-yada-yada.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
I'm trying to buy a cheap rear wheel for use exclusively on the trainer. I have the Continental indoor tire which is a 700x23. I found a cheap wheel, but not sure if it will work with the 23 or not.
Given that a "standard" width rim will take tires from 19 to 32 mm (and wider) with little difficulty, it's hard to see how you would have an issue with this wheel. The issue that Mike T. raises is more likely to be your challenge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That hub takes a screw-on freewheel. If you have "cassette" rear cogs you can't use them on that hub.

It says "cassette body type" in the description but the pic shows a screw-on freewheel type hub.

And in the hub title it says "Freewheel".
Yeah that's a little confusing. I'll give them a call and see what the deal is.

Can anyone else recommend a cheap rear wheel that will fit a 10sp shimano cassette and the 23 trainer tire?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts
That's what I thought too. But after months of looking, finding a sub $100 wheel on craigslist was an exercise in futility.

I finally just bought one of these. $90 on sale now. I got mine the other week for less with an extra 20% sale.
Forté Titan Rear Wheel

Be careful with ultra-cheap wheels. You could end up getting stranded on the trainer. :D

OK, seriously, in reply to posts 3 and 4 in this thread, as has been pointed out numerous times on RBR and elsewhere, the ETRTO guidelines on which size tires can be used with which size rims are very, very conservative. I found this below on DT Swiss' website, P. 2. You will note it is very generous:

https://www.dtswiss.com/Resources/Support/RIMS/DT-Swiss-Rims-User-Manual

1 - 8 of 8 Posts