Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll be most likely picking up a Neo, Kickr, or Hammer soon, along with a Zwift account, to supplement the trainer's respective maps/software. Looking at Zwift as universal software, in case my group members end up with different trainer brands.

I just wanted to know if I want to setup a group ride, would we only see "our group" on a Zwift map, or it's there only "one map instance", where everyone on Zwift rides, and everyone sees everyone else?

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
you are on their server.. you will see everyone. The best thing you can do is pick a start point and pick some obscure jersey that you all can change too.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
IF you add each other to your 'friends' list (mobile link app), when you enter the game, if they are online, you will be able to 'Join' them, where they put you next to them on the map.

You might also consider a voip app like teamspeak or mumble. A 'sports' style bluetooth headset works great for this, and you can coordinate with each other, and chat while you are riding. Kinda handy really. I and several of my riding buddies picked up Plantronics Backbeat Fit headsets. I use them for voice chat on group rides, or if I'm riding solo, just general game audio, and maybe listen to a game or some music while I'm riding.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow...only one map instance for the whole user population is incredibly weak. Especially for a monthly fee. I hoped there would be the ability to create private rides/ride maps solo. At the very least, have multiple map/server instances, giving the ability to pick an empty server.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Wow...only one map instance for the whole user population is incredibly weak. Especially for a monthly fee. I hoped there would be the ability to create private rides/ride maps solo. At the very least, have multiple map/server instances, giving the ability to pick an empty server.

Thanks for the info.
That gets requested a lot on the Zwift forums.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If you really wanted to not be with everyone. There is software to help you change the map of the zwift program. You just have to send a message to ride members before hand as to which map and route your using

For wataopia there is like a total of 6 routes now add in reverse and its 12
For richmond there are 3
For london there are like 4 with reverse its like 8
Safely modify prefs.xml with zwift-preferences - ZwiftBlog

Just pick one of the 2 that isn't on the calendar

·
Registered
1,504 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Its not just that its one map, its just that the more riders on the track the "better" for the experience.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you really wanted to not be with everyone. There is software to help you change the map of the zwift program. You just have to send a message to ride members before hand as to which map and route your using...
Good looking out...but having hosted/modified Battlefield (X), GTR/GTR 2/GTL servers in the past, modding maps, and getting everyone on the same page, is just not appealing this go round.

I was reading about the "course schedule"...so if "London" is up on the rotation, do users not have the ability to choose another map that particular day?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Good looking out...but having hosted/modified Battlefield (X), GTR/GTR 2/GTL servers in the past, modding maps, and getting everyone on the same page, is just not appealing this go round.

I was reading about the "course schedule"...so if "London" is up on the rotation, do users not have the ability to choose another map that particular day?
If the user doesn't mod the prefs file then they will be on the course for that ride that day.

Users are only able to choose routes.
Typically the routes are like this:
Hilly - PRL
Flat - PRL Classique
Figure 8 - Prl +classique (no figure 8 for richmond)
Surprise
Follow other riders
Mountain and its variations (watopia only)

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Fair enough. However there are so many varying examples of setting up "multiplayer", that you don't end up having "the one map" end up looking like this:

I think Zwift has suggested that if there were enough riders they might consider multiple concurrent courses. My experience from last winter was there are usually between 400-1000 riders on Zwift during the times I ride. That did not seem crowded to me. There may end up being more riders this winter

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I think Zwift has suggested that if there were enough riders they might consider multiple concurrent courses. My experience from last winter was there are usually between 400-1000 riders on Zwift during the times I ride. That did not seem crowded to me. There may end up being more riders this winter
Biggest peak usage i have been on when there was about 700 to 800 riders on course. Honestly this doesn't pose much of a problem as the average time a rider is on course is about one hour to 90 minutes. Your always getting a fresh batch of riders every 15 to 30 minutes, and people are retiring about the same time. The course doesn't have to many riders that stress the gameplay or performance.

If your doing a workout then it doesn't matter
If your freeriding then it you may run into bunches.
If your group riding then there may be slowdowns and choppy performance, especially if your listening to the hosted live talk.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Roger that. Just seems odd that they didn't come of the gate with a multiple map/server/instance model. At the very least, provide the ability to ride any map on any given day. Shouldn't be difficult from a technical stand point, given that one physical server can host multiple maps/instances.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The user base is much smaller than the potential of an MMO like WoW or something. Their thinking is that they want as many people riding together as possible.

That said, as Pitt said, you can manually modify your prefs file and ride whatever map you want. I've done it (I prefer Watopia to the London or Richmond maps), but it's really strange being on that map by yourself. It takes away from the immersion of it not having other riders to pass, or be passed by.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Biggest peak usage i have been on when there was about 700 to 800 riders on course. Honestly this doesn't pose much of a problem as the average time a rider is on course is about one hour to 90 minutes. Your always getting a fresh batch of riders every 15 to 30 minutes, and people are retiring about the same time. The course doesn't have to many riders that stress the gameplay or performance.

If your doing a workout then it doesn't matter
If your freeriding then it you may run into bunches.
If your group riding then there may be slowdowns and choppy performance, especially if your listening to the hosted live talk.
Good deal. I'm more concerned about having so many riders visible, and possibility of group getting split, and the ability to find each other, given the Zwift user growth rate.

Haven't looked too deep into Tacx, although I am leaning towards the Neo, but it seems like private rides/maps can be hosted by the user (I could be wrong), but I'm also not sure if the Tacx software is open to other trainer brands.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Roger that. Just seems odd that they didn't come of the gate with a multiple map/server/instance model. At the very least, provide the ability to ride any map on any given day. Shouldn't be difficult from a technical stand point, given that one physical server can host multiple maps/instances.
It is such a limited data stream, and gameplay is in a linear fashion. Unlike your standard game where you got to have the netcode to account for lag and collision system.

The servers just take a passive approach facilitating in just a location on a map and storage of times. all data is stored on your local drive.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The user base is much smaller than the potential of an MMO like WoW or something. Their thinking is that they want as many people riding together as possible.

That said, as Pitt said, you can manually modify your prefs file and ride whatever map you want. I've done it (I prefer Watopia to the London or Richmond maps), but it's really strange being on that map by yourself. It takes away from the immersion of it not having other riders to pass, or be passed by.
Good to know the option of riding other maps on a given day is there. I read that there were ~50k+ Strava accounts linked to Zwift as of sometime this summer. Seems up a bit from the ~20k reported from earlier this year, if its indicative of actual Zwift accounts.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is such a limited data stream, and gameplay is in a linear fashion. Unlike your standard game where you got to have the netcode to account for lag and collision system.

The servers just take a passive approach facilitating in just a location on a map and storage of times. all data is stored on your local drive.
Not sure what you're trying to get at here. But the server has to account for every user on the map, and adjust for riders' relative positions and speed, given the "drafting" effect. At some point, your ride data would have to be uploaded to your Zwift account, and for the server to present your data to other riders.

Again, my main concern would just be of the ability to track "my group" when larger rides/races are at the same map point at the same time. Visually, it looks like a hot mess depending on the number of riders, without the ability to get on a different server. But if its not an issue until the numbers grow, then so be it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts