Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. I'm completely new to CX, coming from a mtb background. Anyway, looking for a bike and found a screaming deal on craigslist, for a Ridley Crosswind. From what research I have done, it seems that Ridley sizing is a bit different than other bike makers, and I am trying to figure out if it is worth wasting my time, and the seller's time, to check this bike out in person.

So, my question is for guys riding Ridley frames who are about 6'-2": What size frame are you riding?

Thanks, I've already learned a ton just from lurking here.

CB

· Hucken The Fard Up !
4,605 Posts
Ridley sizing is Seat Tube center to center.

I am 5'11" I allways rode a 56cm traditional geometry bike, I ride a 57cm sloping geometry road bike ( which has an actual top tube of ~56cm )

I ride a 54cm Ridley Cross, that has an effective 54cm ST c-c and also an effective 54cm TT ( they have a horizontal top tube and traditional cross geometry )

I have it, set up with the handlebars-to-frontwheelaxis 2 cm higher than my road bike and 2 cm shorter handlebars-saddle tip.

I feel this as a good fit for cross where you need to be a little higher and your weight a little more centered.

both my road and cross bikes have a 11cm stem, same saddle, same groupset.

So as a rule of thumb, get it 2 cm less than your road bike TT preference.

· Registered
104 Posts
I am about 6'2" and have a ridley xfire in a 58cm. My other cross bike is probably a 60cm, and I just got fitted for a new custom one. My fitting on a fit bike, a 60cm tt, 73cm saddle tip to hood was what felt and looked good. The ridley seems short in the tt, at 57.5cm, but I like a longer tt personally. I guess it depends on what you like, what you are used to and how your body is proportioned.

· Registered
20 Posts
Just to piggy back on this thread, I'm 6'1" with ape arms and have been looking at a Ridley as well, for my first cross bike. I currently ride a Ridley road bike Large (58.5 tt) with a 120 stem. According to the above posts, I should be on a 56 to get the 2cm shorter setup. However, I do have fears of being cramped. 2cm shorter seems super short, or are my fears unwarranted?

· veldrijder
444 Posts
whambat said:
Just to piggy back on this thread, I'm 6'1" with ape arms and have been looking at a Ridley as well, for my first cross bike. I currently ride a Ridley road bike Large (58.5 tt) with a 120 stem. According to the above posts, I should be on a 56 to get the 2cm shorter setup. However, I do have fears of being cramped. 2cm shorter seems super short, or are my fears unwarranted?
Unless your saddle height cannot accommodate the 58 cm frame, there's no question in my mind that you should be on that size, not a 56.

· Registered
2,269 Posts
I'm 6'2"/34 inseam and ride a 58 CX frame, but I'd prefer a 59 or 60. It's tough to find a 60cm for CX locally and even on the net.

The 58 gets the job done though and an it's agile enough. I wouldn't ever ride a 56, that's way too small for a someone 6'2".

· Registered
20 Posts
heathb said:
I'm 6'2"/34 inseam and ride a 58 CX frame, but I'd prefer a 59 or 60. It's tough to find a 60cm for CX locally and even on the net.

The 58 gets the job done though and an it's agile enough. I wouldn't ever ride a 56, that's way too small for a someone 6'2".
Then a 58 would probably fit me then, I'm 34 inseam on pants, closer to 35+ true inseam. I was closer to 6'2" at one point, I shrunk with a herniated disc from too many cliff jumps on skis. I went from a 135 stem to a 120 on a 58.5 cm tt road bike as I shrunk.

My saddle height is 80.5 from top of seat to center of BB, so a 58 should work with some seatpost to spare. As a 58 has seat tube a center BB- top of TT of 62 (according to Competitive cyclist), that would give me 18 cm to the top of my seat from the top of the top tube.

I initially thought I'd be a 58, but Ridley's site suggests a 56 for my size, and their suggestion is spot on for a large road bike. And I have heard how big Ridley's cross bikes fit, so I was worried about getting too big a bike, which would suck also.

· Registered
150 Posts
Capt. Buffalo said:
Hello, all. I'm completely new to CX, coming from a mtb background. Anyway, looking for a bike and found a screaming deal on craigslist, for a Ridley Crosswind. From what research I have done, it seems that Ridley sizing is a bit different than other bike makers, and I am trying to figure out if it is worth wasting my time, and the seller's time, to check this bike out in person.

So, my question is for guys riding Ridley frames who are about 6'-2": What size frame are you riding?

Thanks, I've already learned a ton just from lurking here.

CB
I highly recommend you ride or at least straddle a ridley before you buy. the crosswind might be fine in a 58". I wanted the x-fire and at 6'2' I would have almost no standover clearance on a 58". in the parking lot that's fine, but if I ever had to straddle the bike on an incline I'd be worried about hurting myself.

I have a ridley road bike (58.5 TT) and my cross bikes are 57.5 cm (not ridely's). I think I'd prefer 58 - 58.5cm, and the x-fire is very short at 56.5 or so (i'd have to check the actual length)

the ridley site actually has recommended rider sizes for their bikes as a reasonable starting point:

http://www.ridley-bikes.com/pd/gb/en-gb/4/89/cyclocross/crossbow

also, be aware that the traditional ridley's have a high bottom bracket, which some riders have complained about. the x-fire (and in fact the other models might be changing too) has a slightly lower bb, but a high standover height

good luck!

marc

· Registered
150 Posts
jmoote said:
Why would you ever do this anyway?
sometimes people stall out on a hill and have to put their feet down while still on the bike.

for example, you might spin out or the person ahead of you messes up and you to stop abruptly

or one or more wheels could be on a hump of ground that is slightly higher even on flat ground....

it's nice toi have a little leeway

· Hucken The Fard Up !
4,605 Posts
jmoote said:
While I understand these things happen, I can't think of any time I've ever come to rest with two feet on the ground over my bike. I guess I always dismount in time or just end up bailing off to the side.
this !

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
58 will be perfect

whambat said:
Then a 58 would probably fit me then, I'm 34 inseam on pants, closer to 35+ true inseam. I was closer to 6'2" at one point, I shrunk with a herniated disc from too many cliff jumps on skis. I went from a 135 stem to a 120 on a 58.5 cm tt road bike as I shrunk.

My saddle height is 80.5 from top of seat to center of BB, so a 58 should work with some seatpost to spare. As a 58 has seat tube a center BB- top of TT of 62 (according to Competitive cyclist), that would give me 18 cm to the top of my seat from the top of the top tube.

I initially thought I'd be a 58, but Ridley's site suggests a 56 for my size, and their suggestion is spot on for a large road bike. And I have heard how big Ridley's cross bikes fit, so I was worried about getting too big a bike, which would suck also.
our inseams are pretty much exact and I had a 58 Ridley Cross (1st generation) My issue is I'm 3+ inches taller than you so the TT was a tad short

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.