Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(and I'm not talking about a trip to Moscow in 2013)
Just bought a new computer that is Windows 10 with Edge browser like my last one. I was dreading the fact that favorites are not easily transferred with W10 and Edge.
To make a long story short, I got everything set up and logged in, and when I fired up Edge for the first time, on the new computer, all of my favorites were magically on it.
How is this friggin' possible?????????.....The old computer was shut off when the new one was being set up.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
did you log into anything at all while setting up (provide any details)?

edit: i see you did log in, they'd be store in some sort of microsoft cloud profily type thing.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,291 Posts
How is this friggin' possible?????????.....The old computer was shut off when the new one was being set up.
Win 10 asks you to create a microsoft account, and most people do. I didn't, but it took a bit to figure out how to avoid it. Cloud storage is part of that, and MS has pushed device integration hard in recent years, using that account as the link between devices.

MS owns you now, grump.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
(and I'm not talking about a trip to Moscow in 2013)
Just bought a new computer that is Windows 10 with Edge browser like my last one. I was dreading the fact that favorites are not easily transferred with W10 and Edge.
To make a long story short, I got everything set up and logged in, and when I fired up Edge for the first time, on the new computer, all of my favorites were magically on it.
Microsoft knows more about you than your mother does

·
24,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess that Big Brother is watching me.
I better not pick my nose when I'm sitting in front of my computer.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Is your new computer a desktop or a laptop? I think just about every laptop/tablet/convertible/2-in-1 comes with a webcam these days. If you bought one of these, then I suggest not picking your nose either. On the other hand, if you purchased a desktop, pick away! :p

But yes, starting with Windows 8, Microsoft has switched to using online login and now has the ability to sync your start menu, app list, favorites, system personalization and files using Sky/OneDrive. There are times when this is nice (Favorites) and other times when it annoys (the tile colors in Windows 8 and keyboard mapping for those crazy enough to use more than one).

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts

Oh, boy is he. Windows 10 spies on basically everything you do. It is incredibly invasive and only really is used for datamining the hell out of consumers.

Of course the "telemetry" spyware got jacked into several "updates" for W7 and W8 as well.

·
24,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big desktop. It's amazing how computers have grown in processing ability. I can remember back when I had a 486. I believe that it had 2MB of on board Video processing. New one has a 6GB card........I'm still afraid of dumping all my photos and stuff on the cloud (They will probably start charging for it soon) I went with a 2 TB HD, and I still have my old 500GB external, so I should be good with that. Thinking about a SSD.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Oh, boy is he. Windows 10 spies on basically everything you do. It is incredibly invasive and only really is used for datamining the hell out of consumers.
At least if you are persistent enough, Windows 10 lets you disable most of it. Google on the other hand...

Sadly we are at a time where privacy is the currency and convenience is the product.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
I'm still afraid of dumping all my photos and stuff on the cloud (They will probably start charging for it soon) I went with a 2 TB HD, and I still have my old 500GB external, so I should be good with that.
Maybe not. Depends on how much you value the photos. If you have all the drives that have the photos in the same location then they can easily be gone in a flash (theft, fire, flood...). Potential privacy issues aside, Google Photos offers a pretty good way to back them all up for free off site. It will also auto-catalog them very well and they will be available to you everywhere you want (other PCs, phones, tablets, etc.). A step better, but more difficult, would be something like Amazon S3. I have about 70G of various files and it costs about $2.50/Mo for it. S3 is very redundant, losing the data is simply not a concern. There are other ways that may be a bit less but S3 is a proven, rock solid, player. Most folks don't realize the extent that Amazon is a best in class provider of web services.

Thinking about a SSD
DO IT ! I swapped out my Laptop's HDD for an SSD in December and the results are nothing short of staggering! Really simple to clone your existing drive and slap it in the PC. A simple $125 Samsung 500G drive and it's quite simply amazing how much better everything runs.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Of course the "telemetry" spyware got jacked into several "updates" for W7 and W8 as well.
I wondered about that. I did not want to take advantage of the "free" W10 upgrade, thinking that I would avoid some of that tomfoolery. After the free offer ended I noticed a lot of updates for my W7 and W8 machine

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I guess this explains why, after accessing the Youtube Channel with my Roku to plan a trip to the tropics, my Windows startup screen is filled with kick-a** pictures of islands.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
At least if you are persistent enough, Windows 10 lets you disable most of it. Google on the other hand...

Sadly we are at a time where privacy is the currency and convenience is the product.
The only way to really disable the crap is to run a non-legal debloated Windows 10 Enterprise.

Telemetry and other data collection is friggin everywhere in W10. Most of it you cannot turn off, if running retail.

·
24,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was thinking of an external SSD that would hook up with a USB 3.1 connection. USB 3.0 is supposed to be over twice a fast a USB 2.0, and USB 3.1, more than twice as fast as USB 3.0. I will have to check that out. Large SSD's are "crazy" expensive, but 250-500GB are "reasonable".

·
24,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Modern times" are a little scary.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I wondered about that. I did not want to take advantage of the "free" W10 upgrade, thinking that I would avoid some of that tomfoolery. After the free offer ended I noticed a lot of updates for my W7 and W8 machine
The nice thing about the free upgrade was as long that you had the install done, your Key will be registered, after that, you can go back to your old version of Windows. I did it just so that I can "future proof" my keys. With that being said, I may just revert back to Linux again since 10 has been lackluster overall.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Win 10 asks you to create a microsoft account, and most people do. I didn't, but it took a bit to figure out how to avoid it.
Yup. It's typical Microsoft where the option you want is hidden under an unrelated option. Kinda like how exporting from Outlook 2010 was under Import, or Shutdown in Windows 8—10 is under Settings. Or something.

Apple iCloud does the same thing, but it's quite simple to see what syncs with the cloud and what doesn't.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.