Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a RoadID wrist band to let any first responders know the meds I'm on. They have two types: the first has a few lines to list items of concern (notification numbers, meds., etc.) right on the wristband, and the second has a link to a web site or a phone number to an electronic menu which contains a much more detailed listing of personal info.

My question is which would a first responder prefer? A quick summary on the tag that can be read immediately, or the ability to call up a more detailed list -- which, of course, requires someone to log on or get on the phone, and stop what they are doing; i.e. helping me!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
not a first responder but... use a road ID

you're emergency contact is most likely the sourse the hospital will hit up first for info rather then trying their computer. Now if they can't get ahold of them...

info like blood type, and alergies are important for quick action.
NKA = no known alergies
date of birth might be good as well.

·
Registered
783 Posts
not 1st responder but use Road ID

I have name SS# ,Insurance policy, Number address, wifes name and number
I figure that will give all the immediate info needed. Never ride without my Road ID cheap piece of additional insurance in my thinking.

Ray Still

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
I'd prefer your whole name, an emergency contact name (first is fine) and mobile phone number- ideally, this is a person that knows what drugs you take or what chronic diseases you may have. If you're on a laundry list of drugs, then the call-in thing would be appropriate. If you have any drug allergies, then listing those would be appropriate (or NKDA for no known drug allergies)

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Well a name and emergency contact number would be most important. As far as medications go, the more info the better, especially if you are on a blood thinners (coumadin or similar), if you have true allergies to certain medications (penicillin, erythromycin, IV dye or shellfish). Blood type really does not matter anymore because if you need blood products fast you will be given O negative and then type and crossed for specific blood type. Don't make it too difficult to retrieve info (computers), a lot of hospitals have web access blocked for most employees (damn you myspace.com). Also keep it up to date. Don't leave old numbers and meds on the list.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Depends how much info you need. I'm diabetic, and use another interactive service because my records are lengthy and change often. My bracelet, which I wear 24/7, has enough info engraved on it to get them started on saving me. They can then call the 800# for my name, emergency contacts, docs' names, insurance info, etc.

DH, on the other hand, has no health concerns so he uses a RoadID with his mom's and my cell phone numbers on it.

Never had to use either (knock on wood!), so I don't know which works better.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
mavicwheels said:
I highly recommend the medic-alert bracelet or medallion. They have saved countless lives and provide a phone number so more information can be assessed:thumbsup:
Yep, that's the one that I use. I wish that they'd spiff up their styles a little, or license other companies to engrave their info though. I'm tired of lame bracelets that cost a fortune for anything that doesn't look like it came out of an arcade vending machine.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
I picked up a RoadID a little while ago.. (Still have 29 coupons)

I gave my name, home#, mom's cell, Dads cell, address, and states no allergies/conditions

I considered my SS# and my insurance info but I figure they're going to start treatme.

Mine just came in the mail yesterday. I figure, I'll strap it to my stem when I'm off the bike and I'll see it right off when I get on. Simple and doesn't bother me while I'm riding.

·
Registered
52 Posts
A first responders job is major life threatening issues. I would always put major medical issues before anything like insurance info, SSN, or even your name. If blood is pouring out you they won't be looking for your name.
Also think about what you might receive in immediate treatment as opposed to long term care. For example, a severe latex allergy (latex gloves) might rank higher than allergy to penicillin.
I could go on but bottom line is if you really want your bases covered wear both. Some people go as far as to tattoo their condition on their arm or in the case of kids have them wear a shirt that says " I have diabetes don't feed me sugar". Be sure to include anything which could kill you that an average emt might carry or do. The EMT will pass on information to the hospital so that is where the website comes in.

·
Registered
278 Posts
^^man speaks the truth. I couldnt care less your ssn or insurance info, although I would like a name. I've found that using their name when they are really messed up calms them a bit. That being said, its not that high on the list.

Also, if you have a habbit of riding with a cell phone, make a contact labeled ICE for In Case of Emergence. I look for that one quite a bit, and too many people dont have one. Its really nice if you are knocked out but ok

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.