Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just a kid from the midwest who somehow ended up living far, far from home. In the midwest, I generally knew what to expect temperature-wise when I rode. I now live on the edge of a mountainous area, although locals barely classify these as hills. What exaggerates the effect is how far north I now live (the tree line is much closer to sea level, for example).

My question is this: how do people deal with the temperature fluctuations? The issue is three-fold: on one hand, body temp rises when climbing, but then I will freeze my a$$ off on the way down. The other issue is this time of year, being in the sun makes all the difference in the world, and the geography causes all sorts of shadows- including patches of ice or snow on an otherwise dry road (areas that never see the sun). I will be almost hot in the sun and shivering in the shadows. Finally, the geography causes bizarre weather patterns. In the midwest, the weather affected very broad areas, and if it were raining at home, it was raining wherever I would go. Here it can be very, very localized- and change very quickly. In a few km I can ride from sunshine into freezing rain. It is difficult to be prepared for everything.

The upside to all this is the climbs here are always rewarded with a nice view.

I am still riding my freddish winter/rain bike- and carrying plenty of gear (or having room to stash what I don't need). I am traveling far from light, and I finally have my road bike put back together and am hoping to travel light sooner or later. How do other mountain dwellers deal?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I can usually deal with the fluctuations with a vest and arm warmers. Both are compact and can be stored away easy. I expect to get cold on the downhills and suck it up. If it's going to rain I'll take a clear rain jacket, which doesn't breath much with the little mesh on it, so it can be pretty warm.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.