Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legit to have a cue sheet that says:

38.76 Maintained road ends. Stay straight.
39.14 Road ends. Go right. Skirt private property on right
39.17 Ford creek
39.18 Unmaintained road resumes. Stay straight.

Or do I need to reroute to something more mundane.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
Is it legit to have a cue sheet that says:

38.76 Maintained road ends. Stay straight.
39.14 Road ends. Go right. Skirt private property on right
39.17 Ford creek
39.18 Unmaintained road resumes. Stay straight.

Or do I need to reroute to something more mundane.
If you're going off-road you had better let everyone know before they register for the event. If that off-road jaunt gets you to some really great riding (e.g. connects two beautiful dead-end roads) then maybe everyone would be up for it. Otherwise maybe not.

And think about what this might be like if it rains on the day of the ride.

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're going off-road you had better let everyone know before they register for the event. If that off-road jaunt gets you to some really great riding (e.g. connects two beautiful dead-end roads) then maybe everyone would be up for it. Otherwise maybe not.

And think about what this might be like if it rains on the day of the ride.
Definitely on the letting folks know. Even without this particular piece there's already quite a few dirt sections, and that alone is worthy of mention; I figure folks interested in that won't mind a short walk in the woods. But you are right on the rain; if the creek gets high I'll have to have a work-around anyhow.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
No idea if it`s "legit", but it does sound like a fun route provided everybody has fair warning, like K.I. says. It sounds like you`re planning the route rather than something you ran into on a recent brevet. Are you an RBA? Flech team capitain? Sponsoring a permanent? Just curious :)

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No idea if it`s "legit", but it does sound like a fun route provided everybody has fair warning, like K.I. says. It sounds like you`re planning the route rather than something you ran into on a recent brevet. Are you an RBA? Flech team capitain? Sponsoring a permanent? Just curious :)
Working on a 200 k permanent. But may volunteer to run it as a brevet if there's interest. Heading out right now to ride the final (I hope) piece, with the lunch stop control. Who knew a Waffle House would be so hard to find in rural South Carolina? :)

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
We have done similar routes with the very active DC Randonneurs. The key is to let folks know well in advance (like in the ride announcement).

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Working on a 200 k permanent. But may volunteer to run it as a brevet if there's interest.
Good luck with it. Do you already have other permanents registered? I think it would be nice to have a few in my `hood, but a search on the RUSA routes doesn`t show much- a couple around Lake Tahoe, and that`s it. I live in the Reno "metro area", which is small-to-medium sized (pop somewhwere around 300k), but we get a lot of outdoors minded tourists, including a few with cycling on the mind. It might be nice to register a few of our less trafficed local favorites for people looking for a way to bag a registerd ride on a weekend trip. I haven`t investigated what it takes to get one on the books, though.

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have done similar routes with the very active DC Randonneurs. The key is to let folks know well in advance (like in the ride announcement).
Good deal. Not sure how it will fly with the Atlanta or NC groups, but we'll see. Or not. I'll run it by the RBAs and see what happens.

Be a nice way for you and Miss M to break up the tedious FL/DC drive btw....

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good luck with it. Do you already have other permanents registered? I think it would be nice to have a few in my `hood, but a search on the RUSA routes doesn`t show much- a couple around Lake Tahoe, and that`s it. I live in the Reno "metro area", which is small-to-medium sized (pop somewhwere around 300k), but we get a lot of outdoors minded tourists, including a few with cycling on the mind. It might be nice to register a few of our less trafficed local favorites for people looking for a way to bag a registerd ride on a weekend trip. I haven`t investigated what it takes to get one on the books, though.
No other perms. This is the first, but yes, I'm prompted because there are none nearby. I've got to drive 70 miles east or west to find them, so I'm planning to fix that. I've got another one in mind also, as well as a 100 k populaire.

I'm also not quite sure of how to get one officially registered, but I looked into it a couple of years ago and I don't recall the process being all that involved once you've got a route.

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Let people know what they're getting in to but keep it in. That is my kind of ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.