Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really related to cross, but I was just curious, what do you guys prefer racing with, a 26er or 29er?

I'm hoping to start racing XC and want to build up a hardtail. I can't decide which route I should go.. I was thinking maybe a 29er since the diameter is the same as my cross bike.. but I'm not too sure.

·
Registered
518 Posts
rider height, trail type, and personal handling skills should be more important considerations than the wheel size being the same as a cross bike. find an lbs or a friend with some bikes you can test ride on the trails you're likely to be racing on. that'll go a long way to making a decision.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Over in the sister forums of MTBR there are a couple of topics involving "bikes to loan" like for 29ers. If your shop isn't equipped to do long-ish term test rides, like a day at a local trail, hooking up with a rider local to you can happen.

For instance, If you are between 5'6" and 6' tall I have a pair of 29ers you could try. You'd just have to live near southern Wisconsin and tolerate me while riding.

·
Registered
63 Posts
roseyscot said:
rider height, trail type, and personal handling skills should be more important considerations than the wheel size being the same as a cross bike. find an lbs or a friend with some bikes you can test ride on the trails you're likely to be racing on. that'll go a long way to making a decision.
+1
I do think that riding hardtail (or fully rigid mtbs) can help with cx handling skills. The greater tire volume on 29ers can providing a little more cushioning for the rough stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts