Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I officially have... daylight hours with nothing 'professional' to do other than farm out resumes and such... I want to do something halfway productive, yet resume padding at the same time.

I started thinking about the places that I would consider volunteering, and was curious if any of you freaks currently do any regular volunteer work. If so, could you share exactly where and how much time.

I love animals but have absolutlely no interest in any of the shelters. I have volunteered for specific events in the past, but am just curious about you lounge people.

And gut... community service hours don't count.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
I do a lot of volunteer work in my community. I participate in my neighborhood association, I run a neighborhood watch to work with the police and fight crime, and I also do crime-prevention training for other groups in the area. I've also done some work organizing neighbors to help some of the old and disabled people in the neighborhood with household maintenance and yard work.

A friend of mine on the police force recently hooked me up with another volunteer opportunity with a new center that works with teenagers in the area. They're setting up a recycle bicycle program with one of the LBS's to get old donated bikes, fix them up, get some fresh paint on them and give them to local kids whose families can't afford to buy them bikes. Then we're going to work with local cyclists to teach these kids about safe and responsible riding on the streets and take them on some organized rides over the summer.

I'm also in pretty regular contact with my city councilman, who calls me if there are specific things that need some volunteer attention around my neighborhood.

You ask about time: I probably spend about 5-10 hours a week doing volunteer work. Most weeks it's closer to five, but sometimes it gets pretty busy. It's usually pretty spread out---an hour here, half an hour there except when I have meetings to go to or workshops to help run.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
The Red Cross can be quite rewarding and indeed looks prime on a resume.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Before Otis was born I was a volunteer teacher at the high school, teaching English to recent immigrants. 6-9pm, once a week. It's a great program, we took up an entire wing of classrooms there were so many students enrolled.

I urge you to pick a volunteer program that services hot Colombian chicks.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Do you want to use your professional skills or do you want to do something else? That is the first question that you should ask. There are pros and cons to either alternative. Most organizations have a great need for people with legal/business/IT skills -- many don't know that, some do. On the other hand, you may want to do something different. It has been my experience that once you get into an organization and show some initiative, you will have plenty to do.

·
Gruntled
3,737 Posts
I tutor high school kids one night a week, and I'm currently training to teach a series of financial literacy courses at a local high school. In the past, I did some counseling at a small business development center. I've enjoyed all these things.

There are lots of opportunities. Check the volunteers section of craigslist, go to volunteermatch.com, find something that looks appealing and go do it. You'll be glad you did.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
Jim Nazium said:
I tutor high school kids one night a week, and I'm currently training to teach a series of financial literacy courses at a local high school. In the past, I did some counseling at a small business development center. I've enjoyed all these things.
that sounds pretty cool.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
In dribs and drabs: bike club newsletter, trail maintenance, cat shelter (actually a cheerful and very well-run place), and just signed up for some kind of letter-writing thing for an after-school program.

Also, blood donation and used to do Operation Santa Claus, if those count.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
My big volunteer project these days is mountain bike trail-building with a couple of local bike clubs and the Army Corps of Engineers. It's fun, hard work, and I don't know how good it would look on a resume, but I get to run chainsaws and an sk-500, so it's got that going on, which is nice.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I volunteered for years at our local hospital's outpatient physiotherapy department. Being a lifetime cyclist I've always been interested in physiology and rehab type stuff. Aren't we always recovering from something? I learned a lot while I was there; some of the physios are willing to share their knowledge.

I was even invited up to the operating room and witnessed a whole ACL (knee ligament) replacement operation - electric drills, screws, knives and stuff. That was awesome.

I volunteered one morning per week.

·
Glue Sniffer
4,598 Posts
Somehow, I managed to finagle volunteering for my local mountain bike club into a crazy traveling stint helping other clubs. But, your results may vary.

Whatever you do, filling time with volunteering is an awesome idea. There's only so much time that can be spent on the job hunt (which sucks, sorry to hear about that), and volunteering has a way of keeping your spirits up, your mind focused, and you soul content. It's good to feel productive.

There are plenty of good suggestions here. I would think when it comes to resume padding, something with a big recognizable name would be a good bet. I'm not sure what your field is, but most volunteer groups need everything from IT to accounting to leadership, etc. It might be good to see if any groups need your mad skillz so's you can keep 'em fresh and show just how darn industrious you are.

If all else fails, definitely the hot Colombian chick thing.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I Do about 5 hours/week as a Hospice visitation volunteer. Sitting and listening to a hospice patient, relieving the family to run errands, picking up and dropping of family members that couldn't otherwise visit.

It's pretty rewarding.....it's also amazing how many hospice patients value having someone around that they don't have to "Perform" for.

Len

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
BTW...re resume padding.........

I'd recommend that that be a secondary consideration. Looking for a job is a hard slog with lot's of reasons to get down on yourself. Choose to do something that feeds your soul....do something that makes you feel better about you...it will help your search in ways you can't imagine.

len

·
Glue Sniffer
4,598 Posts
Len J said:
BTW...re resume padding.........

I'd recommend that that be a secondary consideration. Looking for a job is a hard slog with lot's of reasons to get down on yourself. Choose to do something that feeds your soul....do something that makes you feel better about you...it will help your search in ways you can't imagine.

len
That's a damned good point.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Len J said:
I Do about 5 hours/week as a Hospice visitation volunteer
Another volunteer gig several of my friends have done, which is quite rewarding, is tutoring elementary school kids in reading.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
volunteering doesn't have to be organized or formal....I pick a section of road that I ride frequently and pick up all the litter. it's outdoorsy, doesn't require any special skills or tools, and has that instant gratification thing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts