Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to cross, and just built up my first cross bike. Most of the crossers I'm seeing are all sporting Tubies. What is the advantage of running tubies? Besides the obvious of lower tire pressure and less chance of pinch flatting. And if you have them does that mean you have another wheelset with clinchers to train on? Do any of you use your tubies all the time? and what do you do when you get a flat? Is it worth getting tubies if your just a beginner and getting into sport? Please help with advise........

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
You can do fine with clincher tires. Many of us use clinchers for training and have a second (or more...) set of wheels for racing, myself I have a couple different sets of tubular tires for different conditions. if it is rocky where you race, I'd steer clear of tubulars, it's awfully expensive and time consuming to replace a blown tire. They are a little nicer because you can run them at a lower pressure. I use them because I already have a lot of tubular wheels around that get used all road season, so I just buy some tires. I had five flats last year at $50 a pop, tubulars can be an expensive hobby...

Just get some clincer tires and see if you like the sport, then maybe consider tubulars at some future point.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yeah, like Jeremy said. Give it a try first but be warned, you'll probably get addicted to it & before long you will be forking over $100/tire without thinking about it. ;) Well, maybe not. However, some of us on here are total loons about nice hand made supple tubulars & there will always be a debate about it. Just go ride & have fun with it for now.

Oh yeah, clinchers for training. Old tubbies for training or rocky races & the good ones for everything else. Thats just me.

~Dave

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
or

jeremyb said:
i agree, tubulars are for when you realize you like the sport and want to step up your commitment a little.
when a f'in pinch flat sends you from 1st to 4th.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
For this last year, Tubular flats moved me from

2-3rd to DNF (2 flats)
2-3 rd to 4th

DNF nationals in KS

I bet I've flatted a dozen times in cross races on tubulars, I'm not counting more than one roll off due to my own poor tire mounting techniques.

I'll continue to use them, but I don't think they are the greatest thing in terms of relaibility

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
jroden said:
For this last year, Tubular flats moved me from

2-3rd to DNF (2 flats)
2-3 rd to 4th

DNF nationals in KS

I bet I've flatted a dozen times in cross races on tubulars, I'm not counting more than one roll off due to my own poor tire mounting techniques.

I'll continue to use them, but I don't think they are the greatest thing in terms of relaibility

And on the flip side of the coin, Barb and I shared 3 sets of racing tubulars (dugast, cotton and silk). We each did more than a dozen UCI races together including all the USGP events and Nat's, and 5-6 local races while sharing the wheels/ tires. Then Barb took those wheels/ tires to Belgium and did 4 more races including 2 world cups and world championships. 0 flats. 0 rolled tires. And for that matter, 0 mechanical problems- not including crash induced of course.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here's another question?

how do you repair a tubie? or are you out the cost of the tire and have to replace it? Does anybody use stans? or slime? like in the mountain bike world?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
how do you repair a tubie? or are you out the cost of the tire and have to replace it? Does anybody use stans? or slime? like in the mountain bike world?
I've had some really good luck repairing tubulars (road and cross) that have small punctures with stans and tufo sealant. Tufo's have no innertube and they're meant to be used with sealant. It works really well on them and can sometimes seal fairly big holes. I've used stan's to fix lots of traditional tubulars that have inner tubes (challenge, dugast) as well. If you get a small puncture or have a tire that just loses air too quickly it's always worth squirting a bit of stan's in there and see how it goes. I use a tube that tufo sealant comes in and just refill it with stan's.

Otherwise, there's the old fashioned way of unstitching the tire at the puncture and actually patching the tube. I've never even attempted this, if the sealant doesn't work I toss 'em. I'd love to learn more about repairing and even building tubulars, tread bands might be worth removing and saving...

·
Registered
60 Posts
what about tufo tubular clinchers? Is it a good solution if I don't wanna buy a new wheelset (mine is around 1500gms, so not all that heavy anyway). I wouldn't mind trying it if there was a benefit. Right now running Mud II's and occasionally speedmax tires. i am a newbie so i am still figuring stuff out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts