1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
I have been searching all over the web but to no avail. I hv written to FFWD also no reply. Can someone able to advise what's the drag coefficient of a 60mm profile wheel. Pse don't point me to some formula as I'm bad at that. Just advise on the values. I just need it for comparison.

Eg F6R
That would depend on the yaw angle, the spoke count, the tire size, and the shape of the rim. If you look at studies of aero wheels you will find that two "identical" wheels (same rim depth) can give different drag coefficients at different yaw angles depending on their shape. Don't worry about being pointed to formulas because nobody can calculate this without a big computer and pretty sophisticated computational fluid dynamics software and model development. The only way you can compare two wheels is to look at the wind tunnel testing. And it has to be testing done by the same people in the same wind tunnel.

And all that said unless you're competing at the top professional levels of the sport it really doesn't make that much difference.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would depend on the yaw angle, the spoke count, the tire size, and the shape of the rim. If you look at studies of aero wheels you will find that two "identical" wheels (same rim depth) can give different drag coefficients at different yaw angles depending on their shape. Don't worry about being pointed to formulas because nobody can calculate this without a big computer and pretty sophisticated computational fluid dynamics software and model development. The only way you can compare two wheels is to look at the wind tunnel testing. And it has to be testing done by the same people in the same wind tunnel.

And all that said unless you're competing at the top professional levels of the sport it really doesn't make that much difference.
Tks Kerry,

I ask this is because I wanted to know how much will it benefit me to change my current 23mm alloy rim to a 60mm profile rim. I'm making ref to Wheel Performance, Long Climb

where they are able to compute for me the result where I can make a decision, to change or not to change. But their table of wheels datas doesn't have a wide range that includes a 60mm rim. Guess they want us to buy their software.

·
Cycling Coach
1,734 Posts
Tks Kerry,

I ask this is because I wanted to know how much will it benefit me to change my current 23mm alloy rim to a 60mm profile rim. I'm making ref to Wheel Performance, Long Climb

where they are able to compute for me the result where I can make a decision, to change or not to change. But their table of wheels datas doesn't have a wide range that includes a 60mm rim. Guess they want us to buy their software.
on a steep climb, then don't sweat it, bugger all difference.

If you are talking flat road performance, then 2 seconds per km would not be an unreasonable gain from the aero wheelset.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
@novetan

The HED website has a downloadable utility that compares wheels based on yaw angle, wind speed, wheel profile and terrain. You plug the values and it gives you the expected time savings over the length of the course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.