Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at upgrading to UT cranks and it appears as though Campy put the bearings right on the crank arms rather than in the bottom bracket, as do others. Are these bearings serviceable or do you replace the entire crank when they wear out?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
They are serviceable because I destroyed one of the bearings and replaced them with ceramic bearings. You need a bearing puller tool that costs about $35 and you can get it from cbike, and I used a Park headset race setting tool to set the bearing back on the crank. According to Campy maintenance instructions, the bearings need to be serviced (i.e., cleaned and lubricated) every 2,500 miles. Mine went south with about 2,500, maybe 3,000 miles on it. The seals on the original bearings aren't very good, so as soon as some dirt gets in there, those bearings aren't going to last very long.

I'm actually thinking about upgrading all of mine to ceramics from Enduro, but that probably won't happen until the off season when I take them apart to service/clean them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Additional info here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.