Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get some opinions.

First, I'm 6' tall and have a 33" inseam. I was previously on a Large Wilier Izoard (557 top tube and 160 cm headtube) with around 3 cm of stack under the stem and running a 100 mm stem. I feel like I could have gone a bit lower and possibly needed a 110 stem.

My question is, I have the opportunity to pick up a Le Roi but in an XL size (570 top tube and 170 headtube). Looking at the numbers, I feel like it actually might be perfect. I could run a 100 mm stem with no stack and be right about where I was or wanted to be before, right?

Would love to hear some thoughts!

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
best option is to measure. second best option is to draw an accurate sketch to scale of each bike.

The head tube dimension does not define handlebar height. fork length, bottom bracket drop, frame angles, top tube length, seat tube length all combine with the head tube length to determine handlebar height.

reach from seat to handlebars is affected by frame angles.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I would take some time to look at other facets of each bikes geo before proceeding. For example, you can't make a direct comparison of two TT lengths without also considering STA's, because that affects reach.

Saddle to bar drop is less of an issue here, because the Le Roi has a slightly taller HT and saddle height is a constant, so it's likely you'll either use the same spacer/ stem setup or possibly less spacers.

Also, check out standover, because if the Izoard in a large accomodated you in that respect, an XL in the Le Roi may not.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Saddle height may be a costant, but wouldn't bb drop as well as HT length effect how that "constant" sits within the fit and interacts with bar drop?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
krisdrum said:
Saddle height may be a costant, but wouldn't bb drop as well as HT length effect how that "constant" sits within the fit and interacts with bar drop?
BB drop and HTL together dictate frame stack, so yes, you're correct that even though saddle height is a constant those variables will change the OP's setup... somewhat. But given that he's using a fair number of spacers, is gaining 1cm in HTL (and changing stem angle is an additional option) I don't see saddle to bar drop being an obstacle. Reach, maybe.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Large Izoard has a STA of 73.5 while the Le Roi has a STA of 73. Both have a 73 head tube angle.

Will that have that much of an affect on reach? I'm not worried about the stack. I feel like with the 170 HT on the Le Roi I'll actually be able to run almost zero stack hopefully, which is what I was shooting for.

The reach is the only thing I'm even marginally concerned with. I wouldnt want to run anything shorter than a 90 mm stem and given the numbers, I think a 100 would be about where I would need to be on the Le Roi. Depending on what bars I run and the reach on those.

What do you think?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
The Le Roi is going to have about 8mm's longer reach. Depending on how the Izoard fit, you may or may not need to go with a 90mm stem.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did you come out to that number? I'm not doubting you, just wondering for my reference.

Could I also just play with the fore aft position of the seat to make up for the 8 mm difference? I had a set back seatpost on the Izoard. Would moving to a zero set back post be a better idea?

Appreciate all the insight by the way!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
wsrobert said:
How did you come out to that number? I'm not doubting you, just wondering for my reference.

Could I also just play with the fore aft position of the seat to make up for the 8 mm difference? I had a set back seatpost on the Izoard. Would moving to a zero set back post be a better idea?

Appreciate all the insight by the way!
Fore/ aft saddle position shouldn't be changed to accomodate reach. While a given KOPS/ setback isn't something to be 'married' to, there is evidence that many riders have a range that works best for them, so keep track of that if/ when switching over to the new bike.

For every degree of STA change, reach changes by about 1cm. So if your Izoard has a 557mm TT and a 73.5* STA, going to a 73* STA changes that TT number to 562. The Le Roi's is 570, thus the 8mm difference.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm confused.

If the Izoard is at 73.5 and a 557mm virtual top tube and the Le Roi is at a 73 and a 570 virtual top tube, how does that equal out to 8 mm difference according to how you calculated the change? Wouldnt the .5cm (half of the 1cm for every degree of change in STA) need to be added to the 570 since the 73 is more slack then the 73.5?

I probably am just understanding this completely wrong.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
wsrobert said:
I'm confused.

If the Izoard is at 73.5 and a 557mm virtual top tube and the Le Roi is at a 73 and a 570 virtual top tube, how does that equal out to 8 mm difference according to how you calculated the change? Wouldnt the .5cm (half of the 1cm for every degree of change in STA) need to be added to the 570 since the 73 is more slack then the 73.5?

I probably am just understanding this completely wrong.
To compare two bikes in reach, you equalize the STA's, then using the 1cm per degree of change guideline, calculate the difference in TT length.

We could have gone the other way; equalizing the Le Roi STA with the Izoards by adding .5 degrees. Now, with a steeper STA of 73.5 the TT measurement changes by 5mm's to 565mm's, still 8mm's difference from the 557mm's on the Izoard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts