Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to assess how much I should list my bike for when I sell it.

I assume that its based on:
1. How old it is
2. The condition its in
3. How much it cost originally.

So mine if a 3 year old Jamis road bike, less than 1000 miles, excelent to good condition(nicks here and there), and was 1300 originally. What do you think?

Thanks.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
It's worth what somebody will pay...

All the stuff you mentioned matters, but none of it is a guarantee. If I were thinking about buying it, I'd probably consider age last, because I don't care how old my bike is as long as it fits me and works. I wouldn't pay any attention to how much you said you'd ridden it, because you could be lying and there's no way to check (there are some indicators, things like wear and paint condition, but they're imprecise). Its original cost and present condition would weigh about evenly for me, with cost maybe a little ahead. I already have a couple of nice bikes, so I wouldn't pay much for a cheap one in excellent condition. I might pay more for something I've always liked, like a Masi 3V, even if it needed some work to make it rideable.

wackpuma said:
What is the best way to assess how much I should list my bike for when I sell it.

I assume that its based on:
1. How old it is
2. The condition its in
3. How much it cost originally.

So mine if a 3 year old Jamis road bike, less than 1000 miles, excelent to good condition(nicks here and there), and was 1300 originally. What do you think?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Brand New bikes seem to go for 20% off MSRP pretty often

A "like new" bike with so little mileage that you can barely tell its not new should be at least 30% off MSRP

A used but good condition bike should be 50% off MSRP

A well used bike should be 75% off MSRP

That makes your bike worth exactly $650. There, I have solved this issue, on to quantum physics

1 - 3 of 3 Posts