Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important is centering the rear tire? I just finished restoring an old Bianchi and had to go to a 7 speed freewheel over the original 6 speed. Because of the RD hanger mounting screw I had to add a 1mm washer for clearance on the drive side. Now the wheel is about 1-2mm off center. I suppose I could redish it or even add a matching washer to the left side, but I was wondering if this amount of offset is any real problem. As I measure other bikes, from the factory, I see a lot of variance already.

Thanks guys.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
1-2 mm?

Most guys here would find that unacceptable, I"m guessing. I would. It is enough to make the bike track a little crooked, and make it hard to adjust the brakes properly.

Do you know how to true a wheel? Re-dishing by that amount is not a big deal. If it were mine, I'd slap it in the truing stand and center it up. Unless there were a lot of frozen spoke nipples (a problem sometimes on old bikes), it would be a 15-minute job at most.

· Super Moderator
41,448 Posts
chas0039 said:
How important is centering the rear tire? I just finished restoring an old Bianchi and had to go to a 7 speed freewheel over the original 6 speed. Because of the RD hanger mounting screw I had to add a 1mm washer for clearance on the drive side. Now the wheel is about 1-2mm off center. I suppose I could redish it or even add a matching washer to the left side, but I was wondering if this amount of offset is any real problem. As I measure other bikes, from the factory, I see a lot of variance already.

Thanks guys.
I'm assuming you're referring to centering in the dropouts; redishing centers the rim over the hubs locknuts (i.e., OLD). Having your rear wheel "off" the bike's center line because you added a 1mm washer on the axle probably won't be noticeable, except when you're descending or uncorking that 40 mph sprint. And then, you'll likely know the cause of the shimmy. But, since the fix is so easy, why not add another washer?

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Six and seven should be the same spacing. Both go on 126mm hubs.
If something is goofy with your hub, you could always add a 1mm spacer on the non drive side to balance it out. The hub will still fit.

· Larry Lackapants
698 Posts
you should add a spacer between derailler and hanger, not offset the wheel.
Easier to do and no headache.
for real MEN only, take out the hacksaw and shorten the derailler fastening bolt...

kidding of course

· Larry Lackapants
698 Posts
Dinosaur said:
They say as long as the wheel is centered with the seat post, there is nothing to worry about.
well I noticed frames are not that symmetric..
Soo: I guess rear wheel should be centered with the post and after that, front wheel centered with rear wheel.
If that gets the front wheel to be centered in the fork, then you're a happy camper.
my giant seems a bit off but i stopped caring long time ago, since it feels ok on the road.Also eyeballing things is pretty relative.

good luck
br

· Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
brblue said:
you should add a spacer between derailler and hanger, not offset the wheel.
Easier to do and no headache.
for real MEN only, take out the hacksaw and shorten the derailler fastening bolt...

kidding of course
Actually, not a bad idea. I already did shorten it as much as possible, but this is an okd frame without the direct mounting for the derailler so I am dealing with the backplate for mounting in the dropout. Without that it would be perfect

· Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
Six and seven should be the same spacing. Both go on 126mm hubs.
While I agree, they should be, in this case the 6 is shorter than the 7 and the extra lip on the 7 designed for a lock nut makes it rub against the old style dropout mounted derailler.

I'll check again to see if the tire lines up with the center post, I had assumed that the frame was what I should look at so thanks for that point. As to re-dishing, I can do that but I don't want to put more stress on the spokes and wheel than I have to.

Maybe I can just grind down the lip on the new freewheel. I have compared with three different versions and they all have it but this one doesn't need the locknut.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.