Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm not a racer, and don't think this belongs in the racing section. A few weeks ago I attended the CSC Invitational in Arlington VA (I live nearby). Of the 140 or so starters in the men's race, only around 30 or so finished. Are racers required to "retire" from the race if they're being lapped?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
the officials will pull riders on a course that tight, with that many riders, if they are out of contention, meaning, usually, in danger of getting lapped. but I'll bet that very few pros were pulled. if a rider loses the pack in a crit that tight, that fast, for any reason, (if he got caught behind a crash or something), and can't immediately chase back on, his race is over and he'll take himself out. I saw Brice Jones, one of the top crit riders in the country, limping in after getting caught behind a crash and losing the pack. He wasn't hurt, and he wasn't pulled. It just wasn't his day, and he called it himself.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
scott bdc said:
Hey all, I'm not a racer, and don't think this belongs in the racing section. A few weeks ago I attended the CSC Invitational in Arlington VA (I live nearby). Of the 140 or so starters in the men's race, only around 30 or so finished. Are racers required to "retire" from the race if they're being lapped?
Quite likely pulled after being lapped. What Category or CAT were you spectating. If it was a Pro 1/2 mix, then I suspect they yanked lapped riders pretty quick.

Here's the rules off USA Cycling.

Specific Regulations
Lapped Riders
• Are not eligible for primes
• May be pulled if out of contention.
• If allowed to finish, finish on the same lap as the leader(s)
• May work with other riders, but may not drop back to assist a rider gaining a lap
Many things must be taken into consideration before pulling lapped riders. Some fields are small and therefore easier to score. Thus
leaving lapped riders in the race generally causes no problems for the judges. Too many lapped riders can confuse the Judges and the
places may be awarded to the wrong riders.
If this is a Cat 1-2-PRO race, the faster riders have gone hard at the start to weed out those riders
who don’t have the ability to be there. In this situation, they expect you to pull the riders with less
experience and, in fact, it becomes a safety issue and a sporting issue, and you really should pull
riders out of contention. For the lower categories, if riders are always pulled, they get no racing
experience and become discouraged, often leaving the sport. For this reason, you should attempt
to place all riders possible and avoid pulling them.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I hate getting pulled, but it has happened a few times.

In the lower cats, its all a workout anyway, so keep riding.

In the upper cats, by all means, pull out and try the next race! You just never know. If you're just having a bad day, hopefully you can be pack fill/sacrifice yourself spectacularly for a teammate.

IIRC I've raced that course before. Mom and Dad came up from the Manassas area to watch. One of very few races they've ever seen.

M

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I did it last year, when the promoter ran a 3/4. I had fun, actually. It's a tough course. I can't say that I ever saw the front of the race, but I managed to close a few gaps, including gaps that would have dropped some teammates who were a factor, finished with the pack, and, heck, it was an honor just to be nominated.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Getting pulled in a big time race is quite demoralizing. Some times it's not your fault, but most of the time it is.

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Actually at this years CSC Invitational the Pro's were getting pulled too. Most of the field got pulled- really strong winds this year made the race very hard.

Same thing happened in the women's pro race as well.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Getting pulled in a big time race is quite demoralizing. Some times it's not your fault, but most of the time it is.
I'll never forgive the official that pulled me from a race for the first time. I know it's irrational, but that's the first thing I think of every time I see him - him standing out there making the 'across the thoat' sign at Arlington in 2002. - TF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.