Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the sale of a frame pending to someone residing in Taiwan, but after checking with UPS, FedEx and USPS (Global Express), I've found that the cheapest option costs about $280.

Does anyone know of any other options or have any experiences shipping overseas and managed to do it for less?

TIA.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
A few years ago I had a frame fed-exed to me in Taiwan for about $200. That was a few years ago, so I figure the $280 is a pretty good rate.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Check it as baggage and fly it over yourself?

Everything I've seen with overseas shipping is bookoo bucks.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dajianshan said:
That's an idea. I'd even ride with you.
lol, thanks. But I really wasn't planning a trip at the moment. I'm more focused on making money than spending it.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
USPS Express Mail International

Recheck USPS. It should not cost you more than $110 USD insured. I've had frames shipped from the East Coast to Shanghai, same zone as Taiwan for USPS. One cost about $65 and the other about $100. USPS is also linked to EMS which is the preferred carrier in Asia s they're associated with most of the Sovereign postal carriers.

Make sure you check the box size but it's generally not a problem.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
boneman said:
Recheck USPS. It should not cost you more than $110 USD insured. I've had frames shipped from the East Coast to Shanghai, same zone as Taiwan for USPS. One cost about $65 and the other about $100. USPS is also linked to EMS which is the preferred carrier in Asia s they're associated with most of the Sovereign postal carriers.

Make sure you check the box size but it's generally not a problem.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that was what USPS initially proposed until they measured the box (8x19x37 inches). It apparently exceeds the length (or girth, I forget which).

GobaI Express would've worked out fine, but (again, because of box dimensions) they rate it at 34 lbs. even though it weighs just under 11 lbs., so the cost went from $155 to $280.

From what I understand shipping it as 'baggage' via commercial air is risky because of what they call 'limited liability' for fragile items. I don't think the buyer would accept that risk.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
USPS are inconsistent

If you go to their site, they will specify the aggregate measure. Your box should be fine, either print out the stuff from their site or try another USPS office.

PJ352 said:
Thanks for the suggestion, but that was what USPS initially proposed until they measured the box (8x19x37 inches). It apparently exceeds the length (or girth, I forget which).

GobaI Express would've worked out fine, but (again, because of box dimensions) they rate it at 34 lbs. even though it weighs just under 11 lbs., so the cost went from $155 to $280.

From what I understand shipping it as 'baggage' via commercial air is risky because of what they call 'limited liability' for fragile items. I don't think the buyer would accept that risk.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
boneman said:
If you go to their site, they will specify the aggregate measure. Your box should be fine, either print out the stuff from their site or try another USPS office.
Not arguing, because I'd love to get this done, but I checked with two USPS offices and both said the package (8x19x37inches) exceeded allowable dimensions to go Express Mail Int'l.

Quote from their website:
Individual dimensions may not exceed 36 inches in length, 79 inches in length plus girth combined.

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
Unlikely to find anything cheap.
International shipping has gotten stupid epensive recently.
Best I could do was around the $280 you have mentioned when shipping from the US to Australia.
Some quotes it was cheaper for me to fly to LA and pick the bike up myself or to buy an economy class seat for my bike.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FTR said:
Unlikely to find anything cheap.
International shipping has gotten stupid epensive recently.
Best I could do was around the $280 you have mentioned when shipping from the US to Australia.
Some quotes it was cheaper for me to fly to LA and pick the bike up myself or to buy an economy class seat for my bike.
I've pretty much resigned myself to that fact, so I refunded the buyers money and will repost my ad with a note that I won't ship overseas. Even if the buyer was willing to pay the $280, I'm no longer willing to fill out the paperwork (customs forms, etc.).

All this doesn't even touch on the fact that there are VAT/ customs fees on most items entering a country, and I believe Taiwan's is 5%.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
That's too bad. I had a frame shipped from Taiwan a few years ago to Massachusetts and it set me back $60USD. Shipped via EMS which uses USPS on the US end.

I just checked the box which a frame was shipped using USPS from Massachusetts to Shanghai for about $110USD and it was 36x29x6. That's a total of 106" under the 108" max for Global Express Guaranteed for Taiwan from the East Coast. Assuming a total weight of 10 lbs, the charge, excluding insurance, is $147.25.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/tz_001.htm

Admitedly, USPS are extremely inconsistent when it comes to measuring and what constitutes the maximum as well as which service to charge. The less they have to look up, the better off you are as a general statement.

The customs form is one piece and pretty easy. Always indicate that the VAT or GST plus Import duty is for the account of the buyer. None of that is your problem and is due upon collection/delivery from buyer.

I say it's too bad as someone who buys from US sellers and lives offshore, six years in the UK and the last five in Asia, PRC and Singapore. I'm willing to pay the cost and have more than once helped the seller on what needs to be done and the cheapest method.

European, Asian and Pacific sellers are not an issue as they're quite used to dealing outside of their home countries. Biggest issue is Australia where the Post is known for extremely high rates and extreme size restrictions.

In Europe, UPS and FedEx are viable options cost wise but in Asia, from the US, they're non-starters. Well, just some thoughts and hope you reconsider.

PJ352 said:
I've pretty much resigned myself to that fact, so I refunded the buyers money and will repost my ad with a note that I won't ship overseas. Even if the buyer was willing to pay the $280, I'm no longer willing to fill out the paperwork (customs forms, etc.).

All this doesn't even touch on the fact that there are VAT/ customs fees on most items entering a country, and I believe Taiwan's is 5%.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Lesson learned.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
boneman said:
That's too bad. I had a frame shipped from Taiwan a few years ago to Massachusetts and it set me back $60USD. Shipped via EMS which uses USPS on the US end.

I just checked the box which a frame was shipped using USPS from Massachusetts to Shanghai for about $110USD and it was 36x29x6. That's a total of 106" under the 108" max for Global Express Guaranteed for Taiwan from the East Coast. Assuming a total weight of 10 lbs, the charge, excluding insurance, is $147.25.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/tz_001.htm

Admitedly, USPS are extremely inconsistent when it comes to measuring and what constitutes the maximum as well as which service to charge. The less they have to look up, the better off you are as a general statement.

The customs form is one piece and pretty easy. Always indicate that the VAT or GST plus Import duty is for the account of the buyer. None of that is your problem and is due upon collection/delivery from buyer.

I say it's too bad as someone who buys from US sellers and lives offshore, six years in the UK and the last five in Asia, PRC and Singapore. I'm willing to pay the cost and have more than once helped the seller on what needs to be done and the cheapest method.

European, Asian and Pacific sellers are not an issue as they're quite used to dealing outside of their home countries. Biggest issue is Australia where the Post is known for extremely high rates and extreme size restrictions.

In Europe, UPS and FedEx are viable options cost wise but in Asia, from the US, they're non-starters. Well, just some thoughts and hope you reconsider.
Thanks for your feedback, and I appreciate your checking that box size. Your price quote is spot on with what USPS quoted me if I stayed within their dimensional guidelines. Trouble is, I see no way to pack the frame securely in a smaller box.

Yes, the VAT/ customs charges would be paid by the buyer, but I wanted to make him aware of them to avoid some unpleasant surprises. Once I emailed the buyer he responded saying that he could buy a compete bike from Europe and have it shipped to Taiwan for about $170, so there appear to be better options for overseas buyers than purchasing from the US.

My remark about customs forms stems from my frustration with the entire process. I had already filled the required forms out, so the statement was more in the vane of... I'm not going to go through this again. I'm losing money on the frame, so that coupled with the time and effort expended in this process just closed the door to my willingness to repeat it.

Thanks again for your feedback. Hopefully the next buyer will be within the US and shipping will total about $50 incl. insurance and with no hassles.

·
Registered
330 Posts
As another example, I just shipped a frame to Japan. I was at or under the 36" "maximum" but under the combined girth (I think it was 7 x 27 x 36)The site quoted me around $80 for International Priority mail, and the post office actually charged me around $65. adding in insurance left me around $70.

I was actually pleased with how it turned out. I wouldn't want to make another frame box, though. That was more work than I expected, converting a bike box into a frame box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts