Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High School.

In what group did you hang with or associate yourself with the most? Use whatever colloquial slang you want. We had colorful names like river rats for people from cedar city, and goat ropers who were from the rural bits, then the regular preps and jocks, and punks, etc.

So... who were you then? And... are you where you envisioned you would be? Or would your buddies have said... you haven't changed a bit?

Just curious.

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
high school(ugh)
hanging with:
nerds, artists, dreamers, outcasts, stoners, underachievers.

NOW
hanging with:
triathletes, roadies, nerds, artists, dreamers, outcasts, stoners, underachievers.

Not much different. Oh yeah, i'm now officially too old to get stoned even if it's
been since HS, kids and all that LIFE stuff. Not sure what my HS acquaintances
would think of me now.

Now if you want to talk about College, well, that's a different kettle of fish altogether.

edit:

(without regard to Leopold... sorry dude, you'll have to re-read and re-evaluate...)

i'm working in the Entertainment Industry now - never thought my Computer Science
degree would land me in the Movies. While i have Wife and Kids and the like, i'm
not sure i had any expectations about "adult" life. in a lot of ways, i wish i could still
be going to college/university with a lot less to worry about.

on occasion, i find that i've matured on certain things and thinking back makes me
cringe about how retarded/naive/sheltered/[email protected] i was. that's not to say that
the enlightenment has been all good; on the contrary, Tax season(which is now)
really makes me uncomfortable; i never imagined how unpleasant buying/selling a
home could be and the current downturn is making me nervous about work.

on the other hand, i have two great kids and a great wife who buys me bike stuff
every once in a while(like a Yeti Kokopelli a few years back); work is pretty cool
most of the time; i get to ride a bike for lunch; and when i'm not being anti-social,
meet some of the fine folks here in the Lounge. it could certainly be worse.

as for meeting friends/buds from the past, i sure hope i've changed.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
HS - mostly sports folks from my track team or the soccer guys etc etc. Hardly hung with my classmates other than the rare occasion. Pretty popular enough due to track and whatever else.

Now - still hang out with the same buddies from then. Sorta.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
cwg_at_opc said:
high school(ugh)
hanging with:
nerds, artists, dreamers, outcasts, stoners, underachievers.

NOW
hanging with:
triathletes, roadies, nerds, artists, dreamers, outcasts, stoners, underachievers.

Not much different. Oh yeah, i'm now officially too old to get stoned even if it's
been since HS, kids and all that LIFE stuff. Not sure what my HS acquaintances
would think of me now.

Now if you want to talk about College, well, that's a different kettle of fish altogether.
Cool. I don’t need to type, as you’ve done it for me.

·
Registered
636 Posts
cwg_at_opc said:
Oh yeah, i'm now officially too old to get stoned even if it's been since HS, kids and all that LIFE stuff.
Or you're just too young. In high school I never ever saw the level of peer pressure that I've seen lately from grown up 50-65 year old men.

·
Large Suburban Male
3,599 Posts
HS - I was part of all the groups, kind of a social butterfly.
I played football for a year or two, so I was in with the jocks, smoked with the burnouts, was in AP classes so I knew the brains, and dated theatre girls, so I was in with the drama folks.

The only group I didn't really know were the social outcasts, whatever they were called.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
HS? I was a "JF" (Jesus freak),hang out with like minded (or mindless) people. Certainly wasn't a jock, but since the school was small, knew almost everyone. Now. Well. My views have changed a bit, shall we say. When I'm not with my family it's hanging out at cross races and crits, doing some group road rides. I have no social life:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Um, lets see, hung out with the cross country people (even before I ran cross), got shunned by the soccer team (even though I was on it), had two or three close friends, the rest were aquaintances.

By the time I was a senior I was something of a @ss, guess I just needed to get out of town.

Girls, mostly hung out with girls from other towns.

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,799 Posts
I hung out with the drama kids and the guys who modified their cars. We had a nice strech of road behind the school that was a 1/4 mile long :)

I went to my 20th high school reunion a few years ago. It was amazing to see the same old groups hanging around each other as before. It was just like turning the hands of time and being in the cafeteria at lunch again.

Our star quaterback married the homecoming queen and he's now the head football coach of the school. Storybook for him.

The saddest part of the reunion is when they had a slide show of all the classmate that died,

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Had a very small group of friends. One just died recently. :(

Other than that I was a trainer/manager/gopher for number of different sports. Not really good enough and big enough to play. It worked out well though, I got to see a lot games for free.

I went to my 10 year reunion years ago, I won't be back for another one.

Nothing much has changed.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
I was a "get back to the land" hippie. Of all the people I knew, who talked the talk, I am the only one I know who did it, I live smack dab in the middle of 40 acres of woods, (15.5 is mine) I heat with a renewable resource (wood) built my own house with my own hands, run my own business, (skilled artisan) I eat healthy, get lots of exercise and will most likely die a healthy man....?

I still listen to the same music (same artists, a lot of them are still at it) or at least the same genre.

I still have a yellow lab... (not the same one, I got my first in 1970)

I drive old beater, economy vehicles.....

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
loner. didn't really socialize much. hung-out with 1 or 2 others after school for bike rides but that was about it. i had a lot of acquaintances from playing a couple of sports but didn't really "hang" with anyone. i was working 2 jobs through high school and had a 3rd by senior year, so i didn't really have much time nor interest in hanging with my peers.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was Cross Country and track

And hung quite a bit with that crowd, but also was a bit of a butterfly, on the fringe of a lot of groups I suppose, but associated a lot with the 'alternative' crowd.

I started riding bicycles after my Jr year as I was trying to stay in shape during recovery from a stress fracture and it kind of stuck. Therefore... I dont think Ive strayed that far. My closest friends from HS were my cross country buddies.

They almost across the board are married with two kids... so I havent strayed too far from the group I suppose.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
HS:
kinda got along with everyone, but at the same time really only had one close friend. I was a band/drama geek and active in church. I was pretty sensitive, which netted a lot of girls that were "just friends." I was not physically active, except during the summer when I worked at a church camp.

Now:
Pretty much have been able to distance myself from things emotionally. Unless it is someone doing something I find selfish or rude (see any thread on my wife, inlaws, or jerks in grocery stores).
At work there are certain people I get along with, and others I don't. This is based primarily on their attitude towards consumerism and pawning work off on others. My work friends, I have noticed, are mostly minorities. I only see one of them outside the work place. And that is very rare. I have no friends outside the workplace, which causes a little mental stress.
My humor is now pretty blue, falling more to the side of disgusting shock or double entendres followed by feigning naivitee.

Until last summer I had to wear a suit to work everyday. I still work in a cubicle, but the dress code has changed.

Three years ago I crossed paths with my high school self. I was in goodwill looking for an air popper to use as a coffee roaster. It was after work, so I was in my suit. When I was checking out, I overheard my HS self talking to the other checker. "Man, there is no way I would ever wear a suit for work." The chick shot him a look, but he continued, adding, "And I would never work in a cubicle."
After I paid, I looked the kid and, "There will be a day you wake up and wonder how you got there. One day youre wearing chuck taylors everyday, even with suits or at weddings. The next thing you know you are wearing suits and working for the man. Remember this conversation. It will happen to you, too. "

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
kind of sounds like the people that I still stay on contact with from school, we all ran cross at some point and they are now married with kids,

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
HS: I was a nobody, but most people knew me. I wasn't a jock, but was athlethic enough. I could chat with anyone, but generally didn't. I wasn't a brain, but wasn't stupid. Wasn't popular, but wasn't an outcast. Wasn't a stoner or a freak. I was just kind of there. I had no friendships that continued after HS. Nothing special.

I lived 1/3 mile from my HS. My parents still live there. I haven't been on school property since I graduated in '84.

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,699 Posts
Punks, Indie kids, artists, I also ran track and xc, so a bit o' that.

Now? Kind of similar, with the addition of more stoners and replacing bike freaks with running freaks.

But I'm in college so it's not like high school was that long ago.

·
Coffee Lover
297 Posts
Then: Band Nerd and I rode my bike everywhere. I was on the fringe of a number of other groups - academics, sports (esp. soccer), student council (read "preps"), church group, etc.

Now: Band Nerd. The difference is that now I have more horns and more bikes. Our circle of friends has expanded to include musicians, cyclists, runners, and triathletes. Most of us married with kids. The ones who aren't married would like to be. They think we're "livin' the dream".

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Hung out with the smart misfits who were also jocks.
Not to be confused with the smarty nerds, the loner misfits, or the bucket head jocks.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i probably hung out with honor students/athletes the most. i could pretty much get a long with anybody, but i only had a handful of closer friends.

now, i pretty much just hang out with my wife and kids. teammates and some cycling friends at races or group rides.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.