Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got given (yes GIVEN) a record CF rear der. (Long Cage) I don't need the long cage for cassette choice, can I purchase short or medium cages and convert?

thx

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
atpjunkie said:
got given (yes GIVEN) a record CF rear der. (Long Cage) I don't need the long cage for cassette choice, can I purchase short or medium cages and convert?

thx
According to Branford Bike www.branfordbike.com the Record carbon long cage derailleur cannot be converted to the smaller cages, (unless I read it wrong) But both the small and medium cage derailleurs can be switched among themselves. Apparently the long cage derailleur body is made specifically for the long cage, which is for the triple set-up. They also mentioned you could use a long cage derailleur just fine with a two-ring crankset, but if you were going to use it on a 9-speed you needed to change to 9-speed jockey wheels.

I'm no "expert" Aptjunkie. Just trying to help.

· Registered
714 Posts
with this long cage rd, you can also use the bigger cog cassettes, so as to climb those 20%+ grades with (relative) ease w/o resorting to a compact or triple...

croswell1 said:
According to Branford Bike www.branfordbike.com the Record carbon long cage derailleur cannot be converted to the smaller cages, (unless I read it wrong) But both the small and medium cage derailleurs can be switched among themselves. Apparently the long cage derailleur body is made specifically for the long cage, which is for the triple set-up. They also mentioned you could use a long cage derailleur just fine with a two-ring crankset, but if you were going to use it on a 9-speed you needed to change to 9-speed jockey wheels.

I'm no "expert" Aptjunkie. Just trying to help.

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what I thought

thanx. Yeah I can borrow the wife's 13-29 when I go to ride the Bergs in Belgium. Am gonna run standard Campy record Alu crank (my old 175 - this is a frankenbike project)
I may get the wheels mfg 11-27 cassette and set up on one of my Mavic Classic SCC tubs as my R-V-V rig. My record 9 I use a 13-26 and can slog my way up pretty much anything

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.