Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I got these beasts about 2 weeks ago for free(previous owners fat, tv magnets). The first one is a older Motobecane dont know what year or model. I am turning it into a single speed/ fixie. It has a campy record front hub with a in named rim and rusty spokes. The rear wheel has no names of any sort on it/ same rusty spokes... 5 speed freewheel. I chopped down the bars to cowhorns and eliminated the old rear brake. I have the chain shortened and just running on one of the cassettes (searching for an affordable rear hub). I am not planning on getting any major miles on this just mostly something to ride for fun and training.

The second is a 1975 Raliegh Super Course MKII. This bike is going to stay the same as a 12 speed work horse. the white paint is rusted. The drive train is all Huret???

I just wanted to know of any tips or ideas any body has on the rebuilds on these bikes. I am not planning on spending too much money but throw ideas and opinions out there anyways.
Thanks,
FeltS22TimeMan

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
"Focus!" ;)

Well, I'm an ex fat TV magnet (still working on the fat part, but it's workin :) ) and I've been running high flange Suzue hubs front and rear on my fixie since I've owned it (3 months or so?) and I haven't had any problems so far. And they're innexpensive:

http://www.spicercycles.com/index.cgi?cat=22&sub_cat=Hubs&prod_id=177&cat_desc=Track

I'm a pretty big boy, and I've got no complaints so far, and my fixie has been my daily commuter for the past few months.

looks like fun man.

joe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea im by no means "tiny" but I am working on it. Ha Ha the pics didnt turn out because i had the camera on a close up deal instead of the normal lens thing. I appreciate the link. They look great and I love the price. Any other opinions will be greatly appreciated.
FeltS22TimeMan

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
I think I have the same motobecane. Just beware that there are a few key dimensions on the french bike that are hard to find parts for...They have unique bottom bracket threads, stem dimensions, and headsets, so be sure you have the parts you want or a good source before getting too far in. It's a nice riding frame.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
As for a rear hub, I just built up an old Gitane using a Diamond Hi flange rear hub. Sealed cartridge bearings, $50. Sweet deal and the hub is nice looking. No, I never heard of them either but I'm glad my man Gregg at World Cup ski and bike suggested it.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
should be able to find either a track wheelset or a rear flip flop wheel on eBay. if not just buy the rear and any front will do. if the motobecane has the french bb convert the raleigh to fixie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.