Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a new custom road frame and am torn between going with custom titanium or custom stainless steel from someone like IF. Are there any serious merits, advantages or disadvantages or either material when compared with the other?

Which would you personally choose and why?

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
I've chosen both and in my experience there is nothing magic about either, in the right hands they will both build a superb bicycle.

You buy stainless steel because you think it's cool and you're interested in materials an because you might want to do some intersting things with the way the thing looks. Like exposed stays or see-through branding. Of course, you can do precisely those same thing with titanium. With the exception of lugs, which you can use to build a very interesting bike with stainless.

If you don't want paint - both can be done in that manner.

Ride-wise, if the bike is built well you won't be disappointed in either case.

I don't think there is a compelling argument one way or the other other than price

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Titanium is so '90's
Stainless steel was in, but now it is out.
Custom Steel is the "New" Titanium/Carbon.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I had a titanium frame and really liked it. I don't know much about stainless other than it's hard to work with, I'm not sure how much experience they had with Ti to make the comparison, but that's what I know.

I've only seen the Reynold 953 Stainless tubset, Columbus also makes a Stainless tubeset. I haven't compared the specs yet, and it's of some people's opinion that it's better than Reynolds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.