Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pretty narrow hips and looking for a change from my Quattro Pedals and cleats on my Shimano MTN bike shoes.

1. What is the difference between light action and Zero Pedals - is the only difference that ou can adjust the float on the Zero pedal from 15 degree to zero (if so, does anyone minimize the float or do they just leave it at 15)? I have been riding a couple of years and familiar with clipless pedals (SPD on mountain bike and Quatto on road bike).

2. Do you have the same amount of in-out (left - right) cleat adjustment whether you go 3 hole or 4 hole? The video on the speedplay website shows a good amount of left-right cleat adjustment on a 3 hole shoe, but not for a 4 hole shoe.

3. Do the shoes come with everything to put cleats on a 3 hole AND 4 hole shoe?

4. Are these pedals/cleats good for someone with narrow hips?

5. Will probably go with Red/Black Chromoly due to cost and my weight (200lbs) - any issues?

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I can only answer a couple. I have Zeros on three of my bikes:

1)
if so, does anyone minimize the float or do they just leave it at 15
This would be a disaster for me. I consider 15 degrees a lot of float, and that isn't always desireable. I wouldn't be able to use the Light Actions.

5. Will probably go with Red/Black Chromoly due to cost and my weight (200lbs) - any issues?
Shouldn't be a problem. I believe there's a 180-185 lb weight limit on the titanium spindle pedals. BTW, the titanium pedals have a very slightly short spindle length.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
I think narrow hips should not be a point of concern for you whatsoever. Riders of all shapes and sizes ride the relative same pedal to pedal distance. This is from tiny riders to big honking riders.... Bottom Brackets, crankarms, and pedals are very very very close. Your difference will be in how you set your cleats.

Speedplays are freakentastically popular, and notably so. The weight, clearance, and ample float make this a ridiculously competent and adaptable pedal.

One caveat. I ride a lot. Well, maybe not compared to some... but I average about 6k miles a year. I also ride a great deal with some larger riders in both a competitive and training type environment... and if there is going to be a catestrophic failure of a pedal... it will be on a speedplay. Period. Granted, it is not common... Im not knocking the pedal... but for your size, it should be a consideration. Maybe the fact that so many people I ride with have upper end bikes, and thus the speedplay may be far more common... but all I can say is that the last three that I can think of in the last few years have been speedplay disintegration, one of which was a 205 lb guy on a the ti zeros. (whoops.... pricey weight limit mistake there).

That being said...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Funk USED to ride 6K a year. ;)
BTW, my fiance has the light actions on her tri shoes. I remember working on them once when an underlying screw came loose. IIRC, there was an adaptor plate with three screws onto the shoe then the actual cleat onto that with 4 screws. Whether you can skip that 3-screw plate with a 4-hole shoe I don't know. I can go play with them if you need the ultimate answer. Also, when she recently crashed, she was still clipped in on one side. Not sure what her float is but that could be real bad on the knees etc. That may have thrown her down even harder keeping her from rolling. So just don't ever crash with tons of float!
As for weight, the pedals themselves(which is the weight they quote) are super light BUT add the proprietary cleats and the weight of the overall "system" is really no less than Keo with plastic cleats. I researched it when I thought of changing and wasn't impressed with the overall weight - may have been even more "unsprung" weight overall - JMO. I've never ridden them as I have lots of bikes(mostly older) and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a pair of cheap Looks. I think clipping in should be a breeze as they don't have an up or down side.
Was a very cool and innovative idea though and hey, team CSC uses them so they must be good. Right?
Dave
KC

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!!!

funknuggets said:
I think narrow hips should not be a point of concern for you whatsoever. Riders of all shapes and sizes ride the relative same pedal to pedal distance. This is from tiny riders to big honking riders.... Bottom Brackets, crankarms, and pedals are very very very close. Your difference will be in how you set your cleats.

Speedplays are freakentastically popular, and notably so. The weight, clearance, and ample float make this a ridiculously competent and adaptable pedal.

One caveat. I ride a lot. Well, maybe not compared to some... but I average about 6k miles a year. I also ride a great deal with some larger riders in both a competitive and training type environment... and if there is going to be a catestrophic failure of a pedal... it will be on a speedplay. Period. Granted, it is not common... Im not knocking the pedal... but for your size, it should be a consideration. Maybe the fact that so many people I ride with have upper end bikes, and thus the speedplay may be far more common... but all I can say is that the last three that I can think of in the last few years have been speedplay disintegration, one of which was a 205 lb guy on a the ti zeros. (whoops.... pricey weight limit mistake there).

That being said...
I definetely don't want a pedal break..even though I am 200lbs, I don't put out too much power (I found that out the hard way doing intervals last night for the first time)...I can ride at 20+mph by myself for 20-25 miles and normally do 50-60 mile rides, I can't seem to push it much harder than that when it comes to go 'fast' with fast riders. Before I ever read your post, I am actually considering Look Keo Carbons. With the available 9 deg float cleats, that should be fine. You actually answered my second question for me..I went from a '06 Lemond Alp De Huez with Bontrager Cranks to an '08 Cervelo RS with Red cranks...I was thinking maybe the BB of the Cervelo and the Red cranks resulted in a wider Q factor. I did move my cleats all the way out (make foot closer into crank arm) last night, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Still feeling the 'ache' in the knee (the real reason I am considering different pedals). Before I do anything, I am going to have the shop check my extension, saddle height/fore/aft and cleat position. I think I am just a 'hair' off resulting in this knee discomfort (not pain, but just a 'twang')...

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
will indirectly second the Keos...

two of the more notable and experienced racers on my team do the Keos and swear by them. A lot of the structural and material issues with older looks that contribute to squeaking have been eliminated. Keos are a good pedal, but a little bit too much bling for me. I ... honestly... stick with the ultegras. As far as price for performance... has been one of the most functionally (not aesthetically) durable pedals I have had EVER.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
MCF said:
1. What is the difference between light action and Zero Pedals - is the only difference that ou can adjust the float on the Zero pedal from 15 degree to zero (if so, does anyone minimize the float or do they just leave it at 15)?
Most of the difference is for marketing purposes, but the difference you mention is true. Zeros adjust, light actions (and X series for that matter) don't. The Zero's are marketed to attract riders (read racers, specifically, sprinters) who use zero float pedals (Looks) and don't like the "ice cube" feel of floating Speedplays. Light Actions are aimed at another market (the one with the matching chromesomes)

MCF said:
2. Do you have the same amount of in-out (left - right) cleat adjustment whether you go 3 hole or 4 hole? The video on the speedplay website shows a good amount of left-right cleat adjustment on a 3 hole shoe, but not for a 4 hole shoe.
Whether mounting three hole or four hole the movement left/right is the same since it's accomplished the same way. With those 4 crews right on top:

Same adjustment travel regardless of how you mount.
Up and down (toe to heel) adjustment is another matter on a 4 hole mount.

MCF said:
3. Do the shoes come with everything to put cleats on a 3 hole AND 4 hole shoe?
Yes and if it dosn't call the Speedplay 800# and they will help you. One of the most helpful help desks I've ever utilizied.

MCF said:
4. Are these pedals/cleats good for someone with narrow hips??
beats me.

MCF said:
I'm on the same set of chromoly X series for about 15,000 miles. The haven't failed me yet. (I'm well north of 200 BTW)

Scot

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
MCF said:
You say two to heel adjustment on a 4 hole is another matter, can you clarify? Thanks!
On a three hole mount you are mounting to the Speedplay three hole base plate that has at least a quarter inch of travel (more that you'd ever need). On a four hole mount you are mounting (in most cases) directly to the sole of the shoe and holes only move as far as the shoe manufacturer has designed for. Up down adjustment in that case is not determined by anything Speedplay does.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just realize, unlike your crank brothers, i think ALL speed play series are incompatible with each other. No using the same cleats for frogs/X series/zeros/light action. That is one reason I'd like to go from speedplay to quattros.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.