Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2009 Fuji Aloha 2.0 from an LBS for $650.00. I thought it was a steal since the original price was $1450.

http://2009.fujibikes.com/Specialty/Triathlon/Aloha20.aspx

I would like to upgrade the components. I took the bike to my regular LBS for some minor adjustments since the shop I purchased it from has lackluster mechanics. While talking with the mechanic, he says that I should keep the components that are on the bike since it would be so costly to upgrade them. From looking at the specs of the bike is it worth upgrading the components? If so what should I put on the bike? Should I upgrade the wheels / tires? I do not want to spend more than $800.00. I eventually would like to enter some triathlons in a year.

All feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wheels are always a great option for upgrade. They can make a noticeable difference over many stock wheels and can also be easily removed and put on another bike, should you decide to sell it.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
What are you trying to achieve with an upgrade? That will help determine the answer to your question.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
The question really comes down to what are you going to use the bike for?

If it's for TT's, then the only thing I'd upgrade would be the wheels and maybe the saddle if it didn't fit you. The rest of the components are just fine for TT's and since they are usually fairly flat, weight isn't an issue.

If you are using the bike for Tri's, it's basically the same as far as upgrades go...wheels and maybe the saddle.

Then replace components as they wear out.

Now if you will be in the hills or will be participating in races that have some good climbs thrown in...then geting some lighter components might be worthwhile, but not by the amount it will cost to upgrade them.

I ride a 2006 Fuji Aloha 1.0 and still have the stock components on it which are working just fine. I only use it for TT's, so weight isn't a factor, even on hillier TT's. As the components wear out, I'll replace them with lighter ones. I did switch to a deep dish front wheel and a solid disc rear wheel though :)

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
ldotmurray said:
I recently purchased a 2009 Fuji Aloha 2.0 from an LBS for $650.00. I thought it was a steal since the original price was $1450.

http://2009.fujibikes.com/Specialty/Triathlon/Aloha20.aspx

I would like to upgrade the components. I took the bike to my regular LBS for some minor adjustments since the shop I purchased it from has lackluster mechanics. While talking with the mechanic, he says that I should keep the components that are on the bike since it would be so costly to upgrade them. From looking at the specs of the bike is it worth upgrading the components? If so what should I put on the bike? Should I upgrade the wheels / tires? I do not want to spend more than $800.00. I eventually would like to enter some triathlons in a year.

All feedback would be appreciated.
The bike is OK as is. What would you expect to gain by upgrading?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My biggest concern with the components is that the Fuji has a 9 spd grouppo, whereas my CAAD9 is a 10 spd. I don't know what the performance difference is. I will be using this bike for Tri's. By upgrading the components I don't know if I will notice the weight difference. From the feedback given it seems I should leave the components alone for now.

Today I purchased Mavic Aksium's for my CAAD. I had my LBS take the RS-10s from the CAAD and put them on the Fuji. The RS-10s only have 400 miles on them. Once I start putting more miles on the Fuji I will get new wheels for it as well.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,420 Posts
Are you fast enough to "deserve" an upgrade???????

"Upgrade" your body before you think about upgrading your bike.

10 gears will not make you faster than 9.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A
MR_GRUMPY said:
Are you fast enough to "deserve" an upgrade???????

"Upgrade" your body before you think about upgrading your bike.

10 gears will not make you faster than 9.

Point taken and accepted. That's what I needed to hear.

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
Get some deeper dish wheels for racing and train on the RS10's. I do TT's and Tris quite a bit. You will appreciate the phychological advantage and true speed gains of a combo like 808's or an 808 front and disc rear( a 909 combo)...of course if you are a light weight you'll want to go more conservative so as not to get blown around.

I also agree with not swapping out the group. You are not likely to need the gears but just try to get as tight of a ratio in the rear as possible and still allow for a 11 or 12 tooth in the rear for those days you have a tail wind and can really get the speed up.

I don't agree with getting your body fitter to deserve an upgrade. When I started road bike cycling 5 yrs ago (previous BMXer and MTBer) at 210 lbs I went straight for a Madone 5.2. A couple years later minus 40 lbs, the Madone gone, add a Giant and a Cervelo TT bike to the arsenal. I ride a lot and don't sweat deserving something sweet if I can afford since it makes me feel awesome.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
New lighter, more aero wheels will give you a slight agvantage when accelerating & climbing. The aero benefits might be worth it. Aside from that I don't think there's much, if anything, to be gained by upgrading components.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My only concern with whats on the bike is:

The wheels
The tires
The crank (I personally don't like FSA stuff - but until it breaks it works great)

I would suggest looking into Shimano's RS80 wheels. These are hands down one of the best bang for your buck wheels on the market. Although for tri's you will want deeper dish wheels, you won't get anything short of a set of bricks for $800. Unless you really know what to look for, I would avoid buying used wheels at all costs.

Go for a good durable 23 tire. Continental GP4000 (S) are definitely worth the money. You will likely spend about $150 for a set, but they will last forever and perform fairly well.

The best advice for cranks would be to wait it out, or go to a 105 crankset. Honestly I'd buy the wheels and tires first as your are more likely to see a performance benefit from those first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts