Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a Norco Threshold 105 with Ultegra shifters but the front and rear derailleurs being 105. I went to replace the cables and inside the downtube, I see that the rear brake and derailleur have cable housing, but the FD does not. Anyone know if I should have housing for the FD as well? Drawbacks or benefits of having or not having it? Any tips on making the cable replacement less trouble than I might as I wander somewhat blindly into the task?

I also need to find how to remove the cable from the shifter, but I'm sure there are ready directions for that somewhere.

Thanks as usual,

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
Which 105? 5700? 5800? They're all basically the same, you push the cable out of the shifter and it comes out. Where and how much finesse is required depends on which model you have. One thing is the same...you ALWAYS have to make sure the shifter is in the high gear position to remove/install a cable. Any brand, any shifter, excepting TT shifters, but it's always a good idea to do it w/ the shifter in the high gear position.

As for how your housing is routed/run through your frame I have no idea. I'd recommend calling a Norco dealer and talking to their service manager. As a general rule road bikes don't have continuous housing even with internal cables.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Sorry to be slow to acknowledge your response I have 5800. What was throwing me off at first was the little plastic cover that routes the cables. I've only done the FD so far, but it's shifting better than previously, I think because I bought the Ultegra coated cable and housing as opposed to whatever is standard for the 105 shifters I replaced.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.