Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there --

I tried both the R3 and the SLC today. They are both great bikes. Since I already have a Specialized Roubaix (that I plan to keep for now), I decided to get the SLC. It better complements my Roubaix. I'm not saying that the R3 is like the roubaix, but it's more similar to it than the SLC. I didn't notice the weight 150g weight difference on my climbs. The SLC felt a little harsher to ride, but it felt faster.

I've heard that the SLC aero features really kick in after 20mph. But it just felt faster even at lower speeds. Is that your experience too?

Tires: Why does the SLC come with 25 tires instead of 23? I've not been on 25 tires? Is that because it's a harsher rides? Can I put 23 on them? Does it make it less comfortable?

Gears: I have a triple on my roubaix and need the lower gears for 15%+ climbs. I do enjoy going on long climbs (i.e. Mt Hamilton at 4.3K ft). And the lower gears help me at the end. But the SLC is so fast that I don't want to give up the 53x11. The bike shop suggested that I can put a SRAM 11-26 in the back. Is it ok to mix and match shimano DA with SRAM?

thank you

· Registered
650 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike. My experiance is that the SLC and other soloists are fast bikes period with or without the aero-ness probably because they are very fast and quite frankly, they look fast (which is half the battle when buying a new bike).

Tires: There is a lot to be read on this forum concerning tire thickness, particularly between 23 and 25. If you are worried about ride quality then I might stick with the 25's as they will smooth out the ride a little. Yes, most people with the SLC are probably going to be one 23c tires. My suggestion is that unless you plan on racing you should stick with the 25c's.

You can certainly mix and match some DA and SRAM although it might not run quite as well as a full shimano group. I would suggest going with the 12-27 Ultegra cassette it is cheaper and will provide you with a solid low end, plus you are never going to spin out of a 53x12 so don't worry about it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.