Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Is not a clown car
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the beginning stages of getting a cross race set up at a local park. I think I've got a good thing going here, but I'd like to get a few ideas from the peanut gallery here.

The site hosts the local highschool cross country meets in the fall as well, so the trails are a minimum of 8' to 10' wide, and well traveled. Since the CC meets are there, I can easily get a course as long as 5k. I won't do that though. I made some preliminary runs yesterday on differnt routes, each of them being with in a few .10th's of eachother. They're all about 1.15 miles.

My questions:
Its a fast straight forward course. Not a lot of slow speed action. A few tight corners, but overall, we're talking fast. Detriment? Benefit? There are two perfect spots for run ups, with another that is ok, but there's a low, immature Oak overhanging the trail. I'm willing to bet that trimming isn't an option.

·
Registered
124 Posts
sounds like you've got a good start!

I certainly can't speak for everyone, but despite hearing complaints of some courses being "grass crits" I think I hear a lot more complaining when it's a slow, crawl of a course. If there's two good areas for run ups, I'd use those and not worry about the other one. I think two run ups a lap is fine, I'd just take advantage of what you have there and not try to force too many "features" or "challenges." It sounds like it will be a fast, rolling course that will allow passing and fun racing. That's my two cents ;)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Get some local fast guys to ride the course and see how long the laps take. And then subtract some time from that, to get an idea how long they take during a race.

A cross course is supposed to change frequently. If there are too many long fast sections, they should probably be broken up with switchbacks, chicanes, barriers, run-ups, etc.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I'd 2nd the suggestion to have local experienced cross racers take a look with you. Since you have so much terrain, and since you said it's fast, I'd aim for something closer to 2.5-3k. Two run-ups is plenty, it sounds like you won't even need barriers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.