Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK all you HDTV experts.....I have a few questions.

First of all, I am not interested in opinions based on value per dollar spent. I have a connection so whatever I get will be a deal. For this post I'm interested in your perceptions of the picture and overall quality of the product.

Does anyone have any experience with either of the following TV"s?

1.) Pioneer 50 or 61 Inch Plasmas

2.) Sony KDS-R60XBR1 rear projection TV.

Both are 1080P sets.

In addition, can anyone explain to me the real world differences between 1080I & 1080P ?

Thanks In advance.

Len

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,748 Posts
I haven't used/messed with any of those sets, but I can help with the 1080i/p thing. The i stands for interlaced, while the p stands for progressive. It's the same thing as progressive scan DVD players, where the signal is sent as 480p instead of 480i.

This refers to the scanning of the TV. On an interlaced signal, the odd lines are refreshed first, in 1/60 sec, then the even lines, in another 1/60 sec. On progressive, however, they're refreshed at the same time, every 1/60 sec, so it's a smoother image.

Right now the only things capable of outputting a 1080p signal are certain PCs, I think running XP Media Edition. No broadcast, cable, or dish signals are 1080p. You'll either get 1080i or 720p. Your TV might upconvert to 1080p, though, which may help the picture.

·
Opus was just napping
21,261 Posts
I started a thread a while back asking about the different types of HD types DLP etc. Received a couple of pages of responses...so it the search function works...there might be some useful info there.

Can't say much more than I ended up with a beautiful Samsung DLP that is just wonderful. The HD is hooked up now and I am looking forward to watching the conference finals on High Def.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
The i means interlaced and the p means progressive scan. They are about how the image is sent to the screen. With i the scan lines are sent in two sequences, odd numbered lines and then even numbered ones, and with p all lines are sent in one sequence. p gives you a picture with a little better image. It would be somewhat noticeable when you're watching scenes where there is a lot of quick movement or when you're sitting close to the screen for an immersion feel. 1080p Plasma's will take an 1080i or 720p source and upconvert it to 1080p
For the foreseeable future TV High Definition will be either 1080i or 720p broadcasts because of bandwidth problems with going to 1080p
1080p sources will be things like HD DVD's and new technologies like the Samsung BD P1000 Blu-ray deck.

Pioneer is one of the best plasma's along with Panasonic, Fujitsu, NEC and Hitachi. They all use good technologies in their electronics with, in my opinion, Fujitsu using the best. When I was researching and viewing for a purchase my subjective final listing was Fujitsu, NEC, Panasonic commercial, Pioneer Elite and Hitachi Director's Series. Picture quality was really good on all of them, better than any other type of display I looked at, and all of those manufacturers make quality and reliable displays. I chose Fujitsu because of the quality of its electronics, things like its scaler. Panasonic is probably the best value for someone thinking about price.
When you're looking at Plasma's in a store make sure you turn the contrast of the screen down to 50 percent or less and the picture mode to standard rather than vivid for a good sense of normal viewing detail. Retailers like to have settings at there brightest for its initial wow effect.
Size is just about how far you're sitting from the screen or what kind of immersion feeling you want.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
axolot1 said:
The i means interlaced and the p means progressive scan. They are about how the image is sent to the screen. With i the scan lines are sent in two sequences, odd numbered lines and then even numbered ones, and with p all lines are sent in one sequence. p gives you a picture with a little better image. It would be somewhat noticeable when you're watching scenes where there is a lot of quick movement or when you're sitting close to the screen for an immersion feel. 1080p Plasma's will take an 1080i or 720p source and upconvert it to 1080p
For the foreseeable future TV High Definition will be either 1080i or 720p broadcasts because of bandwidth problems with going to 1080p
1080p sources will be things like HD DVD's and new technologies like Blu-ray decks.

Pioneer is one of the best plasma's along with Panasonic, Fujitsu, NEC and Hitachi. They all use good technologies in their electronics with, in my opinion, Fujitsu using the best. When I was researching and viewing for a purchase my subjective final listing was Fujitsu, NEC, Panasonic commercial, Pioneer Elite and Hitachi Director's Series. Picture quality was really good on all of them, better than any other type of display I looked at, and all of those manufacturers make quality and reliable displays. I chose Fujitsu because of the quality of its electronics, things like its scaler. Panasonic is probably the best value for someone thinking about price.
When you're looking at Plasma's in a store make sure you turn the contrast and brightness of the screen down to 50 percent or less and the picture mode to standard rather than vivid for a good sense of normal viewing detail. Retailers like to have settings at there brightest for its initial wow effect.
Size is just about how far you're sitting from the screen or what kind of immersion feeling you want.
Thanks All

I'm taking the wife out tomorrow and test her eyes (they are better than mine). The Sony RP and the Pioneer Plasma had vastly superior pictures to anything i've looked at with the exception of the Fujitso (but that's a whole different price range) and the Qualia (Which is crazy expensive.

If she picks the same tow out at the store (unprompted) then we get them priced by my bud and make the choice. If not then we see.

Len

1 - 5 of 5 Posts