Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the garage sales this am and ran across a Cannondale SR800. 6 speed free wheel, suntour group (didn't look close enough to verify which group - dumb move!) Mavic rims/suntour hubs, quill stem (I think 3T) Color is a very sun faded pink.

Owner had a sign on it "high end Tri-bike." - Uh, no, someone added a Scott clip-on and a forward angled seatpost with a Selle Flite. So I'm thinking, ok it's a modified old road bike that someone thinks is worth a small fortune and moved on.

Back home at lunch I did the web research and believe I'm looking at an '86 SR800 (only year I found for the "coral" color and in '87 the SR800 went Shimano.) Looking at the specs from this '86 catalogue (OH MY!) tells me I should maybe go take another look? http://sanaandterry.com/cannondale/year/1986/1986.pdf Page 10 has the specs, pg 11 a pic.

I'm thinking I'll go back and look closer to verify: Mavic GP4 tubbs? Superbe Pro? CroMo fork (before the forks went alum?) If the components, ser# year all check out, Can you guys give me your thoughts on this bike?
Thanks!

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
My roommate had one in 1988. It was pink no matter what color they called it. Superbe Pro was great stuff, but I don't konw how it would hold up over this time and finding any replacement parts, not to mention the annodized grey superbe pro parts would be a challenge for replacements. The frame was the old days of Cdale. Rock solid. I mean rock solid too. Not what you would think of as comfortable in an aluminum frame. It is very retro Cannondale though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went back today & looked in detail, serial number verifies it to be 1986/production date 2/5/86. Components all match spec: all Superbe Pro including hubs. Only thing not original: post/seat, stem/bars (3TTT/not bad.) In really nice shape too, could not find a single mark on the paint. Just a lot of garage dust, hasn't been ridden in a lot of years. And yes, 1986 'C-Dale "coral" really is "pink!"

Story is, Mrs. got rid of Mr. & is now finally getting rid of his stuff. $100 asking price (one sold last night on 'bay for $375.) But further research confirms Spookyload's report of a rough ride. Plus, this one is actually a touch big for me (it's a 56 I ride 54,) and I'm not sure I really want to go back to messing with tubbies.

Probably should have paid the $100 & kept it for really fast/short rides but I walked. Thanks spookyload for the input/response!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts