Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang- Hoping to get some advice and guidance: I'm noting that AM rides are always tougher and I tend to bonk. PM rides, including fast-paced A-rides at the LBS are fine and I think it's the fueling during the day that makes evening rides so much better.

I'm not sure what I should be doing, but for AM rides, I generally eat breakfast along the lines of a bowl of oatmeal and some fruit. I take a long an energy gel and some Lara Bars, but at about 40 miles out, I'm bonking. The same ride in the PM is generally no problem and I often feel like I have energy to spare on those PM rides. If it helps, I'm 6'1" and about 163-165 lbs. Hoping to get some guidance on how to beat the bonk and do better on AM rides, via nutrition adjustments. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Eat more the night before. I like to indulge on Friday nights; take in a few cookies and ice cream I may otherwise skip because Sat is a big kJ day and you can't get all of the necessary calories in in the morning.

Performance nutrition is about the days before, not the hours.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I agree that it sounds like you're not properly fueling ahead of time.

I get up and don't eat anything. After a few hours of morning things I'll go ride up to 80 miles with no food and not bonk or break or anything. Just working off of energy stores from the previous day(s). And of course plenty of sugar water in the bottles.

If you're eating breakfast and can't make it past 40 miles, something's wrong.

Eat as soon as you get up maybe, give it more time to digest before leaving.

What do you put in your bottles? Try making one as sugary as you can stand. Use it as fuel on the road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is there a significant difference in temperatures? For example: If your morning ride is at 35 Celsius or 95 Fahrenheit, but your PM ride is a night ride at 20 Celsius or 68 Fahrenheit, your body is likely to have a very varied performance.

Is your morning ride in direct sunlight, but your PM ride sheltered from sunlight either by the terrain or because it's nighttime? I know that my performance drops under prolonged sunlight. Kind of like the opposite of Superman, hahaha.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Gang- Hoping to get some advice and guidance: I'm noting that AM rides are always tougher and I tend to bonk. PM rides, including fast-paced A-rides at the LBS are fine and I think it's the fueling during the day that makes evening rides so much better.

I'm not sure what I should be doing, but for AM rides, I generally eat breakfast along the lines of a bowl of oatmeal and some fruit. I take a long an energy gel and some Lara Bars, but at about 40 miles out, I'm bonking. The same ride in the PM is generally no problem and I often feel like I have energy to spare on those PM rides. If it helps, I'm 6'1" and about 163-165 lbs. Hoping to get some guidance on how to beat the bonk and do better on AM rides, via nutrition adjustments. Cheers!
Eat more the night before. I like to indulge on Friday nights; take in a few cookies and ice cream I may otherwise skip because Sat is a big kJ day and you can't get all of the necessary calories in in the morning.

Got it! I'll have a look at the overall diet, not just the morning of the ride.

I get up and don't eat anything. After a few hours of morning things I'll go ride up to 80 miles with no food and not bonk or break or anything. Just working off of energy stores from the previous day(s). And of course plenty of sugar water in the bottles.

What do you put in your bottles? Try making one as sugary as you can stand. Use it as fuel on the road.
Wish I could cycle like that without eating! I have nothing but water in the bottles, so I'll start to supplement. I just watched a cycling nutrition lecture on-line, which was quite informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeIA261_gSw

I tried what the professor stated, and got up earlier, ate and allowed sufficient digestion time, and hydrated a lot more (pre-ride hydration is something I was not aware of as being so important) and had a much more tolerable AM ride.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a significant difference in temperatures? For example: If your morning ride is at 35 Celsius or 95 Fahrenheit, but your PM ride is a night ride at 20 Celsius or 68 Fahrenheit, your body is likely to have a very varied performance.

Is your morning ride in direct sunlight, but your PM ride sheltered from sunlight either by the terrain or because it's nighttime? I know that my performance drops under prolonged sunlight. Kind of like the opposite of Superman, hahaha.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk
Yes, it is indeed full-sun and about 80-85 Fahrenheit. Perhaps I'm simply not adjusted to those conditions. Looking to build that endurance, so I'll keep at it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

How long and how hard are your AM rides?

You mentioned being ok on fast-paced A - PM rides. Is there a difference in distance/intensity?
I've been going for rides that are about 40-50 miles (or more if time permits), and generally about 1500-2000 feet of climbing. Group rides in the PM are much shorter (about 20 miles), about 1200 feet if climbing, but faster paced. So in summary, the evening rides are shorter but more intense.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
OP is doing a 40 miles fast paced ride. That's at least 2 hours of fast pace, he ain't gonna last without a FULL store of glycogen!

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
OP is doing a 40 miles fast paced ride. That's at least 2 hours of fast pace, he ain't gonna last without a FULL store of glycogen!
That's right. I smash in the rice and pasta and potatoes every day. Mass amounts. Without it I'm worthless the next day(s).

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
That's right. I smash in the rice and pasta and potatoes every day. Mass amounts. Without it I'm worthless the next day(s).
yeah, if I were in OP's case and eating early is not an option, then i'd do just 1 hr of intensity and then 1 hr of zone 2-3 to go home. Eating is not really an option for AM rides unless he can eat about 2.5-3 hours ahead of the ride. Stuffing a bowl of oatmeal 1 hr before a fast paced ride is not sound, sure the oatmeal will suppress the hunger, but he'll throw up lol

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. I may try to get up earlier (maybe up & eating at 6 AM for an 8 AM ride) and see how that goes. Most of the motivation to get up and cycle early is to beat the heat. I can also try to slow my pace a bit and not focus on speed, but rather watts, so the 40-50 miler doesn't have to be about speed, but more qualitative, such as beating the bonk and having energy to spare. I like the idea of an hour of intensity and an hour of zone 2-3.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Try a ketogenic diet and get off the sugar train. Eat real food like bacon and eggs for breakfast. I pack walnuts or macadamia nuts as a snack on my rides. I use UCAN for really tough rides and UCAN electrolyte powder in my water bottles on most rides. I have not bonked since I became fat adapted. I also do a lot of zone 2 training midweek and then hammer it on the weekends.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Try a ketogenic diet and get off the sugar train. Eat real food like bacon and eggs for breakfast. I pack walnuts or macadamia nuts as a snack on my rides. I use UCAN for really tough rides and UCAN electrolyte powder in my water bottles on most rides. I have not bonked since I became fat adapted. I also do a lot of zone 2 training midweek and then hammer it on the weekends.
That may work if you're trying to ride slow as hell, not if you're trying to ride fast or for performance. THAT requires ample calories from carbs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not true. The OP was asking how not to bonk on early morning rides and I gave him an alternative. I used to think like you a couple of years ago. I ride stronger now that I changed my diet and I use fat for energy. No more glycogen spikes and then having the lows afterwards from eating grains and consuming sugar. Do what you want, but promoting pounding sugar is not a healthy lifestyle for me. Not to mention it is a great way to put on weight. Before you attack me and accuse me of riding slow, look into it or give it a try.

That may work if you're trying to ride slow as hell, not if you're trying to ride fast or for performance. THAT requires ample calories from carbs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts