Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never raced but I know I need to get my license. I am 36, but will start as a Cat 5. Do I simply go to usacycling.org and sign-up? I did this yesterday, and was issued a llicense number online. it never asked me what category, and there was no charge. am I missing something? I don't want to turn up at my first race and find out I'm not really licensed. also, what do I bring to a race? can I just have my license number written out on piece of scrap paper?

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
You're halfway there...

Sounds like you've created an online account at the website but haven't actually purchased a license. The "license" number they gave you is just an account number at this point without any valid race licenses associated with it.

If you go back to the website and log in to your account, there should be a button where you can purchase a new race license. That's where you'll need to fill in all your info and provide payment. You'll receive your welcome pack and license card in the mail in a week or so.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
try again

bauerb said:
I have never raced but I know I need to get my license. I am 36, but will start as a Cat 5. Do I simply go to usacycling.org and sign-up? I did this yesterday, and was issued a llicense number online. it never asked me what category, and there was no charge. am I missing something? I don't want to turn up at my first race and find out I'm not really licensed. also, what do I bring to a race? can I just have my license number written out on piece of scrap paper?

thanks
I'm not sure what you did, but if you weren't asked for payment, you probably haven't really registered. I've only done renewals online, so I'm not sure how it works for first licences, but if you really were issued a license you should have been given a chance to print an authorization with your number, which you could use to race. Your real card will come in the mail.

I'd go back and see if you're really in the system. If not, follow the prompts carefully. It may not ask you for a category, since if it's a first-time license it will be a 5.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
all set

ok I figured it out. bought the USCF primary, and a NORBA add-on. printed out an authorization to ride, so I'm all set. thanks for the help

gronk said:
Sounds like you've created an online account at the website but haven't actually purchased a license. The "license" number they gave you is just an account number at this point without any valid race licenses associated with it.

If you go back to the website and log in to your account, there should be a button where you can purchase a new race license. That's where you'll need to fill in all your info and provide payment. You'll receive your welcome pack and license card in the mail in a week or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts