Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visited 2 LBS' today to check if they had a bike I wanted to test ride in the store. None of them had it however, one shop told me they can order one and get it here by the end of next week. However, the other shop said they won't be available until May. How is this so? Do shops use different dealers?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Most of the major bike brands have a single distributor. One thing could be volume of sale differing between the 2 shops so one can either afford to get them earlier or gets better placement on the distribution list. Could also be that the one shop just waits longer to get the new models while they hope to clear out the 08s. I would venture to guess the shop that can get it next week is probably a larger shop and might be better to get it from anyways price wise.

·
448 Posts
I don't know anything about either store, but if the one with the shorter wait has multiple stores, or deals with another store in the area, it might just be a question of shipping the bike from store to store.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
notwist said:
I visited 2 LBS' today to check if they had a bike I wanted to test ride in the store. None of them had it however, one shop told me they can order one and get it here by the end of next week. However, the other shop said they won't be available until May. How is this so? Do shops use different dealers?
If they told you right off the bat, neither knows availability or exactly how soon they can get one. They had to call the supplier and see if he's got one, and if so, how long it will take for him to ship it, to tell you what they did. If neither got on the phone, they're giving you a line of BS.

Basically, no shop wants to order a bike on speculation they'll sell it if you like it. They want you to buy what they have in stock, and if they don't have what you want, for you to buy the bike they order before they order it.

What bike is it? If you can't find it in your area, maybe this group of crazies out here in cyberspace could help you decide whether its the one you're looking for.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
I had a somewhat similar experience last year. I wanted to get a Poprad frame before LeMond went under.

Called my local (Honolulu) Trek dealer. No dice.

Called the dealer at my parents house in Ohio, where I'd be a few weeks. No dice.

Called a dealer in Indiana, another place I'd visit on the mainland. No problem. Ordered me a frameset that I managed to get into a small enough box I didn't have to pay any excess baggage fees on my trip home.

So I bought the bike from a dealer I'll never visit again. Que sera, sera.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's the Allez Sport (56) which I had test rode and decided I wanted as a first bike. The LBS that I really like and have visited numerous times has it in white but \it won't be available in black until May. The other LBS I visited only once and don't know much about the people working there. They said they can have it by next week. Yeah, yeah, yeah... its just a different color and I'm most likely just gonna get it in white at the LBS I like but was just wondering why the discrepancy in the availability of the bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I beg to differ....

Fredrico said:
If they told you right off the bat, neither knows availability or exactly how soon they can get one. They had to call the supplier and see if he's got one, and if so, how long it will take for him to ship it, to tell you what they did. If neither got on the phone, they're giving you a line of BS.
Maybe not...If you had walked into my shop today sometime around 2PM, I could have told you the availability of the Allez Sport Compact in Black off the top of my head....because I had been on the dealer website (I rarely call in to my rep...their dealer B2B website is incredible!) 10 minutes before, trying to fill in some bikes and order them. Need a smaller size? (54cm. or smaller).They are in stock, ready to ship. Larger sizes in the black are slated for May...just like the guy told you. It may have had NOTHING to do with someone giving you a line of BS.

[/QUOTE]Basically, no shop wants to order a bike on speculation they'll sell it if you like it. They want you to buy what they have in stock, and if they don't have what you want, for you to buy the bike they order before they order it.[/QUOTE]

In some cases sure...I would rather sell the $3000 bike I have in stock, IF it meets the customers needs, etc. But the Allez Sport is hardly an exotic bike...If I got the feeling that the customer was pretty interested, and since it is a bike we carry anyway, I wouldn't ask for a binding commitment before ordering one. If it is a bizarro size, or I thought the customer is just using us for the test rides to get it elsewhere, sure I would ask for a deposit. What, exactly, would be wrong with that?

[/QUOTE]What bike is it? If you can't find it in your area, maybe this group of crazies out here in cyberspace could help you decide whether its the one you're looking for.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like he has decided what bike he wants...the question was more about the availability info he was given. Easy to find out. Post here, I will check availability from home here, and let you know current stock at Specialized. How is that? Allez Sport...Compact I assume (you mentioned the white before, which is only available in the compact) Which size?

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
notwist said:
It's the Allez Sport (56) which I had test rode and decided I wanted as a first bike. The LBS that I really like and have visited numerous times has it in white but \it won't be available in black until May. The other LBS I visited only once and don't know much about the people working there. They said they can have it by next week. Yeah, yeah, yeah... its just a different color and I'm most likely just gonna get it in white at the LBS I like but was just wondering why the discrepancy in the availability of the bike.
Go with the shop that told you May, as it's obvious now that the other shop was just jerking your chain. Or they were too lazy to look up availability on the computer.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Thanks for sorting it out!

I'm again humbled by the superior technology of digital media. My comments were informed by previous experiences at bike shops, both as a customer and part time employee, as well as a misunderstanding that OP is yet to test ride the bike he wants, which of course would be easy if they have it in white.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Availability...

notwist said:
I woke up late and finished feeding the kids (sorry, college basketball ran late last night)...I just checked availability...Whoever told you May actually knows the info being given by Specialized...The 56cm black is due into the West warehouse early May, East warehouse late May. (I have found that many times, they build in quite a fudge factor, and the bikes tend to arrive a bit earlier than estimated...but not guaranteed.) There is no reason not to ship from the west, we do it all the time.

Have you considered the Elite, out of curiosity? They have 56cm. in stock in Red (if that is better for you than the White Sport). The main differences is the frame. You get the E5 aluminum with carbon stays (there is a debate going on in another forum if the carbon makes a difference) as opposed to the full A1 aluminum frame. The other differences between them (spokes, 28 spoke front wheel vs. 32 spoke, Pro aramid bead vs.Sport wire bead tires) I think are negligible. The $250 retail price difference is the frame. Maybe the shop will work with you if you decided to upgrade...if you feel the need. Both are fine bikes. You will enjoy either one.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Cfrone1 said:
I woke up late and finished feeding the kids (sorry, college basketball ran late last night)...I just checked availability...Whoever told you May actually knows the info being given by Specialized...The 56cm black is due into the West warehouse early May, East warehouse late May. (I have found that many times, they build in quite a fudge factor, and the bikes tend to arrive a bit earlier than estimated...but not guaranteed.) There is no reason not to ship from the west, we do it all the time.

Have you considered the Elite, out of curiosity? They have 56cm. in stock in Red (if that is better for you than the White Sport). The main differences is the frame. You get the E5 aluminum with carbon stays (there is a debate going on in another forum if the carbon makes a difference) as opposed to the full A1 aluminum frame. The other differences between them (spokes, 28 spoke front wheel vs. 32 spoke, Pro aramid bead vs.Sport wire bead tires) I think are negligible. The $250 retail price difference is the frame. Maybe the shop will work with you if you decided to upgrade...if you feel the need. Both are fine bikes. You will enjoy either one.

Enjoy!

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your help and looking into this. I was only able to test ride the Elite and the regular Allez. I have considered the Elite and was originally going to get it however, I was unable to feel a noticeable difference in the frame and seat stays during the test ride. However, this will be my first bike in almost 10 years so maybe that's why I was not able to discern between the two frames. I was reading online that just carbon seat stays are pretty much a gimmick. Still... to me $250 isn't that much more and was actually planning on spending much more.

I'll be heading down to my LBS today and hopefully will leave having purchased a bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts