Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just got a set in, question is, do i need rim tape at the valve hole of the rim? It seems to be pretty sharp, nothing poking out, but did't know if I'll get punctures and should put a little rim tape on... hope that makes some sense... these are the 06 zondas...

·
ready for retirement
69 Posts
I would

These have no spoke holes in the rim bed, right? If so, I would use just enough tape to protect the valve stem. Alternatively, make a boot from an old tube that fits over the stem, like an extra layer of protection. You could also use a very fine file to smooth the valve hole.

I like the look of those wheels. Give us a review when you get a chance. Enjoy them!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Deburring

Take off the sharp edge by LIGHTLY sanding with fine grit metal sand paper, or a special deburring tool. Since you don't have to do spoke holes, it should take about 5 minutes total. I've never tried doing this with a file (round?), but I guess it would would work too.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Interesting...

I have a set of O6's too and I never paid attention to the valve hole. I guess I'll go back and check it out. I agree that sanding down the rough edge would be a good idea. Also, what brand of tires are you planning on mounting? I here a lot of people complain about Conti's and Michelin's being almost impossible to mount (I mounted Vittoria's without any problem).

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info...

i'll probably smooth it a bit, and might just put a bit of rim tape there too.. figure it wont be a problem, just noticed it was sharp when i got them...

havne't installed tires yet, waiting for my frame to get built (Ted Wojcik custom steel), but i'll be mounting michelin pro race, or i hope to, i have heard of people having issues, but we'll see... might do that this weekend for somethig to work on... i definately send a review when i ride them...

they sure do look great, pretty light and will go well with the rest of my campy stuff... excited, as this will be my first campy bike....

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have Eurus but it's the same. When I got them, the tires were already mounted (I didn't want that but that's another story). Anyway, first time out - 20 miles - front goes dead flat. I popped off the tire and there was a cut about 1/4 way around the valve stem attachment.

I've since deburred the valve hole and applied two layers of vinyl electrical tape just as a local 'rim strip' over the hole, spanning an inch to either side of the hole. Btw, no problems getting Conti GP4ks on and off I can do it with just my hands.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have some 2006 Zonda's and didn't have a problem with the valve/stem whole. But I've only riddent around 400 km on them so far. I also mounted some ProRace2 on the rims.. with some difficulty and with the use of levers, but they did mount well. It probably took me around 15 minutes per tire.

BTW I love these rims.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to update, placed a small piece of rim tape at the valve stem, seems to be fine.. we'll see after i ride them (once i build up the bike)... but I had little to no problem installing michelin pro race 2's... no more difficult than any other tire i've tried... needed the levers to install, but tokk 20 minutes total to put the casette on, and both tubes and tires...

i'll post a ride update in a couple weeks when I actually get to ride on them...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.