Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so - finally my (cx-ray) spokes are arriving tomorrow. I figure I should start easy which would be the radial 20 front (90mm rim)
so - the question is - heads in or out? novatec hubs...

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Depends on the hub. When you do radial heads in with some hubs you can distort the hub enough under tension to allow for premature bearing wear. I have the most confidence with Tune hubs. With White Industries and DT, I and others I've talked to have had this happen. I prefer a crossed pattern with those hubs.

-Eric

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
Heads out but check out the hub flange width and the fork clearance before you are committed.
Zen built me a pair of Edge 45 w/Alchemy hubs, and I can use it on my Serotta Legend Ti & Time RXR but it doesn't have enough clearance on my VXR Proteam.

Check out the hub flange width of Elf and Novatec ....
What fork are you using?

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
Just check the f to f width of Elf is at 82mm while all the Novatec f to f are 72mm and less.
You should be ok in regarding the clearance.....

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,446 Posts
i know zen is all about heads in, but it's pretty rare. i agree w/ the other poster about possible shell distortion depending on the hub. take a look at 10 different radial front wheels, you'll prob see 9 are heads out. we build all ours that way. i don't think you're gonna lack any stiffness w/ a 90mm rim.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So a question about heads-in. Will it make a difference in my spoke length calculation. Maybe add a mm? I never lace my front wheels radial, but I am building up some carbon CX tubular wheels and am going to lace the front radial.

It may seem like a stupid question seeing as you don't need two different spoke lengths on any given cross pattern laced wheel, but I just don't have the experience.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts