Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I went out to ride today and when I do my first pedal stroke i hear something pop off and metal on the ground behind me and my bike feels wobbly to ride. I look and my whole quick release skewer came apart on my front wheel. I take it in the house and start putting it back on, so far so good but when I tighten the lever the whole damn thing falls apart again. I've tried atleast 30 times and it always pops off. Do you think the threads are stripped? Should I take it to my LBS or just get a new skewer kit? I'm lucky my front wheel didn't slip out from under the bike, I would have face planted since my cleats would still be clipped in.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Sounds like the nut has stripped out. Just get another though if it the bike is under warranty, they'll take care of it.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
cyclist95 said:
OK, so I went out to ride today and when I do my first pedal stroke i hear something pop off and metal on the ground behind me and my bike feels wobbly to ride. I look and my whole quick release skewer came apart on my front wheel. I take it in the house and start putting it back on, so far so good but when I tighten the lever the whole damn thing falls apart again. I've tried atleast 30 times and it always pops off. Do you think the threads are stripped? Should I take it to my LBS or just get a new skewer kit? I'm lucky my front wheel didn't slip out from under the bike, I would have face planted since my cleats would still be clipped in.
You have a lot of patience. I would've given up after 29 tries. :)

Bring the bike to your LBS and do whatever it takes to get it fixed correctly. Your safety is more important than trying to salvage a skewer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PJ352 said:
You have a lot of patience. I would've given up after 29 tries. :)

Bring the bike to your LBS and do whatever it takes to get it fixed correctly. Your safety is more important than trying to salvage a skewer.
Well i'm cheap, I try to get as much use out of something as possible. :D

But I took it up to the store just now and the guy who handled me was truly a prick, he acted like I was dumb or was 3 years old! But he gave me a new one for $9... Hopefully this one doesn't break.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
cyclist95 said:
Should I take it to my LBS or just get a new skewer kit? .
It's not either/or. You need a new skewer, the only question is whether it's under warranty or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts