Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started using v6.0 of Topo USA for about a week and find it to be far superior to v5. I found v5 to be totally un-intuative and it would do things that I never did find out why. I finally gave up and only used it for routes that I needed a profile.

They got v6 right. I just started using it and it works. If I want a road where they don't have one, I just pop it in in. For routes I just put in the Start and Finish and click on the roads I want with Via. I can set the speed for the roads to 17 and get a good overall time as I'm constructing. When I tell it this road doesn't exist, with v6 it doesn't use it anyway (I never did figure out how to do this with v5).

You can also easily dump your map/cue sheet to their web space where others can get it. The map may not be there (too small to really use anyway), but the cue sheet is quite good even without being 'cleaned up'.

I have been using MS Streets & Trips and am finding T USA v6 to be good enough to totally switch.

TF

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
Just started using v6.0 of Topo USA for about a week and find it to be far superior to v5. I found v5 to be totally un-intuative and it would do things that I never did find out why. I finally gave up and only used it for routes that I needed a profile.

They got v6 right. I just started using it and it works. If I want a road where they don't have one, I just pop it in in. For routes I just put in the Start and Finish and click on the roads I want with Via. I can set the speed for the roads to 17 and get a good overall time as I'm constructing. When I tell it this road doesn't exist, with v6 it doesn't use it anyway (I never did figure out how to do this with v5).

You can also easily dump your map/cue sheet to their web space where others can get it. The map may not be there (too small to really use anyway), but the cue sheet is quite good even without being 'cleaned up'.

I have been using MS Streets & Trips and am finding T USA v6 to be good enough to totally switch.

TF
Thanks Turbo....I've been on the fence on if I should upgrade from 5.0. I always thought the user interface was their weak point. Glad they heard me and went that direction with this realease.

Scot

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Scot_Gore said:
Thanks Turbo....I've been on the fence on if I should upgrade from 5.0. I always thought the user interface was their weak point. Glad they heard me and went that direction with this realease.

Scot
Same here in all points. Plus I don't like the printing options for v5.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
toothless said:
Look at this example.

http://kybikerides.org/ridemaps/4611.htm

Start at 1278 climb to 6308 with only a couple of small variations. Topo (v5) reports 9342 feet of climbing. Should be no more then 5500.

I ordered v6. I am very curious as to its results.
I just did a route at least close to your's from the jnctn of 321 & 441 to the end of the road up by Clingman's Dome.
Starting Elev= 1273 ft
Ending Elev= 6116
Elevation Gain= 4843
Climbing= 8540
Desc Elevation= 3697

TF

·
Registered
28 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
I just did a route at least close to your's from the jnctn of 321 & 441 to the end of the road up by Clingman's Dome.
Starting Elev= 1273 ft
Ending Elev= 6116
Elevation Gain= 4843
Climbing= 8540
Desc Elevation= 3697

TF
I'm wondering if I should be looking at elevation gain rather then climbing.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
toothless said:
I'm wondering if I should be looking at elevation gain rather then climbing.
Elevation Gain is just the Finish minus the Start. It doesn't matter how you get there. On a loop it would be zero.
Climbing is the cululative of the 'top minus the bottom' every time there is a positive rise.

TF

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
Starting Elev= 1273 ft
Ending Elev= 6116
Elevation Gain= 4843
Climbing= 8540
Desc Elevation= 3697

TF
Sounds like this version is just as brain dead as the last version. The GUI might be pretty, but the underlying data and algorithms are not trustworthy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.