Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's play a game:

You signed up for a travel rewards card that will give you a 100,000 point sign-on bonus (worth $6500 in travel) for spending X amount. You have 10 days left and need to spend $2,600. What would you buy?

I would say NBD but I purchased 2 bikes in the last 4 months, so that's "out" (plus too easy). Curious what suggestions come up.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
I would most likely buy a Trek Farley 7 fat bike. Other options would be a 9mm pistol, a used carbon hardtail for xc racing, or build a new gaming computer. A new 70" 4k television would also not be out of the question.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Does any of your cars need tires? Or any other kind of work?

Do you need any kind of power tools? Home improvements?
2600 would do
A nice bathroom remodel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
Few nights at a nice hotel in Paris, plus dinner at a great resto for Baby Mama and I. Can get the flights on already-existing points.

Either that, or hookers and blow, then waste the rest.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I would use the credit card to load my Amazon account with $1,500 and then slowly use that over the course of a year, or months. I would use the remaining $1,100 and load it onto my Costco gift card. Cheap gas, and select goodies for the next few months (I don't shop there often).

Oh yeah, or SONOS your house. Play 1's in the bathroom, a 5 for your kitchen and a three for the bedroom. You'll probably want a family Spotify subscription.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Hmmm..........no way to convert this to cash to pay down the mortgage somehow? :idea:

Maybe a venti mochachocafrappalatte at Starbucks?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Quick getaway to South Australia or New Zealand?

Somewhere warm and relativity dry would be nice!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,151 Posts
Does any of your cars need tires? Or any other kind of work?

Do you need any kind of power tools? Home improvements?
2600 would do
A nice bathroom remodel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would use the credit card to load my Amazon account with $1,500 and then slowly use that over the course of a year, or months. I would use the remaining $1,100 and load it onto my Costco gift card. Cheap gas, and select goodies for the next few months (I don't shop there often).

Oh yeah, or SONOS your house. Play 1's in the bathroom, a 5 for your kitchen and a three for the bedroom. You'll probably want a family Spotify subscription.
Look at you guys, being all practical and responsible.

But yes, I'm looking at it from the point of view that I came into some extra money, not that I was simply trying to run up a credit card...

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
$2600 in ebay gift cards could buy a ton of vintage campy.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I'd probably buy some more equipment that I'd like to have for my hobby/small home-based side business I've been working at. But that would help you not at all and it's not really a fun way to spend it anyway.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
A set of good snow tires and rims for my Outback.

Upgrade my carbon bike with a basic Ultegra Di2 component set.

Spare cassettes, chains, tires, tubes.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
For an extra couple hundred, you could buy a Colnago C-59 frame from Bellatisport. You don't have one, and someday, you will want one.

Or toss in another $5k and buy a M11/9 machine gun. I bought mine for $1700 15 years ago. They never go down in value. Or an extra $10k and get an uzi.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
No hesitation. I'd take my wife to Italy. Cinque Terre, Rome, Amalfi.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
This is easy; a watch. If you're not already a collector, I'd recommend starting off with the do-everything Omega Seamaster Professional. Has a ceramic bezel and comes in your choice of blue or black. It's on sale at Jomashop for $95 more than what you're looking to spend.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
If you want practicality you could pay your bills ahead with the credit card such as the house payment etc. if you don't already. Maybe write a credit card check and put it into the Roth or something.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts