Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure they can, but can a Campy, 9 speed ergo shifter be pulled off the bike without unwrapping the bars and sliding the mount off?....Can't I just undo the screw and leave the mounting on the bar? (I understand the cables have to come out (not housings))

I would like to clean the rear out it is not crisp from the small to the second cog....the rest are fine...click...click as it should. I hate to unwrap and will NOT flush it out with wd 40 with brooks tape on it!
 

·
Overequipped, underlegged
Joined
·
800 Posts
as far as i know it can be done alright with Shimano levers.
i don't see why it shouldn't with campy. after all, it IS a screw, if you unscrew it far enuff, it'll come out.
HOWEVER!!! it might be a ***** to get it back on. Or it might not. Worst case scenario, you end up having to unwrap your tape, take the mount off and reassemble it. Which you would have had to do in the first place anyway!
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kaboom said:
as far as i know it can be done alright with Shimano levers.
i don't see why it shouldn't with campy. after all, it IS a screw, if you unscrew it far enuff, it'll come out.
HOWEVER!!! it might be a ***** to get it back on. Or it might not. Worst case scenario, you end up having to unwrap your tape, take the mount off and reassemble it. Which you would have had to do in the first place anyway!
but I don't want too............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,831 Posts
Reversing the process

Touch0Gray said:
can a Campy, 9 speed ergo shifter be pulled off the bike without unwrapping the bars and sliding the mount off?....Can't I just undo the screw and leave the mounting on the bar?
Yes, it's really easy to do. The challenge might be putting things back together, depending on whether the bar wrap was just on the bar or if it came up around the lever body.
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Yes, it's really easy to do. The challenge might be putting things back together, depending on whether the bar wrap was just on the bar or if it came up around the lever body.
OH.....yeah.....................sh!t................good point...thanks...on top of the fact that my hoods are 3/4 shot.................need new hoods................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,776 Posts
Never tried it, but I think re-assembling could be tricky, as the nut the screw goes into is loose.

The WD-40 thing really doesn't work with Campy, since the mechanism is really only accessible from the back.

If you're going to go the trouble of disassembly, you might think about replacing the g-springs. Poorly-shifting ergos often have worn springs, and it only costs about 10 bucks to replace. It's worth getting the service manual with its step-by-step instructions, or someone here might have posted them.
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this one has been re-built before too....it shifts fine but the solid "click" is missing on that one gear.
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
new twist....I was riding today and the shifting was perfect again....THEN.....the "quiet" shift moved to 2 gears up.....OK.....gotta be some dirt or gunk on the ratchetty thing you would think...I got home, pulled back the hood and the 2 little holes on the inside-top of the body got blasted with 115 psi of compressed air....then....I got a hypodermic needle and put a couple of drops of home brew in there and blasted it again......as good as new....for now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,831 Posts
Works well

Touch0Gray said:
pulled back the hood and the 2 little holes on the inside-top of the body got blasted with 115 psi of compressed air....then....I got a hypodermic needle and put a couple of drops of home brew in there and blasted it again......as good as new....for now
Despite JCavilia's claim to the contrary, this works very well as a quick fix when Campy shifters get balky. If shooting fresh lube doesn't work, THEN you can go on the disassembly offensive, but I have repeatedly rejuvinated Campy shifters with a shot of oil down the hole in the lever body. Like a charm, it voiks!
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and 115 psi pretty well distributed it....

whew.........as good as new

With the stuff it was doing it HAD to be a dirt and lube issue...I think there was hunk of garbage or lint in it
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I rode thru there today what a mess.......i should have taken a camera with me......it does NOT cut a nice neat path....and actually...I MAY have happened when I hit the ditch on Thursday......tall grass and all
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top