Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time posting to the Retro-Classic forum. Perhaps you can lend some advice regarding this garage sale bike I got today. It's a "Quickrun", made in Apeldoorn Holland according to the head badge. I bought it from an elderly man who said it hadn't been used in 30 years.

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quickrun - specs

Of course it's a steel frame. Sturmey Archer 3-speed hubs. "Fako" bottle generator (also Holland), front & rear lights. "Oxford" spring loaded rear rack (England). The tires are labeled "26x1-3/8 Fits British E.A. 3 rim" (apparently 37-590 according to Sheldon). The whole thing has surface rust but i'll tell ya what - it has a really nice patina! The lugs are big and clunky, but the pinstripes are clearly applied by hand.

"Brillant" Sidepull brakes, cottered crank, cheap vinyl spring seat, extra Extra tall stem and north road style handlebars...

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
should i put some time and money into this effort?

Oh yeah - and a cool gear operated odometer mounted on the fork.

The chain protruding from the Sturmey Archer hub is broken and tied with wire. I couldn't pull it (or 'push' it) in or out of the hub. Dunno if that's the kiss of death. The 3-speed gear shifter on the handlebars also seems to be falling apart. I noticed some stuff on eBay, so perhaps not too expensive to replace the sundries.

So what do you think - should I spend time on this potential project? Assuming the wheels/spokes are decent, could I budget under $75 and get it rolling? I bought it for $25 (Double-A thought I paid $5 too much). I could imagine selling it for a hundred bucks if it was fully operational. Your opinions?

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(dumbell tool)

By the way - I bought that cheap Dumbell tool from Rivendell a few weeks ago. Kind of on a lark, but I've already used it on a couple poor guy's bikes while cruising the LA River path. And it works perfectly on the Quickrun...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.