Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With many tens of thousands of miles on my wheelset, I think I may want to build a new one soon (I'm getting nervous about the rear hub)

I'd like to build on a 9/10 speed shimano comp. type, but what I really want is something dependable and quiet.

Who makes quiet hubs?

· Registered
21,867 Posts
Silent sources

bluemarinoni said:
Who makes quiet hubs?
Anyone who makes hubs with a pawl system that will tolerate lightweight grease (typically not MAVIC). A little grease in the freehub will quiet down most hubs. My Campy hubs are nearly silent, and I've made DA and Ultegra hubs likewise. No compromise in performance if you use lightweight grease.

· Registered
370 Posts
+1

Kerry Irons said:
Anyone who makes hubs with a pawl system that will tolerate lightweight grease (typically not MAVIC). A little grease in the freehub will quiet down most hubs. My Campy hubs are nearly silent, and I've made DA and Ultegra hubs likewise. No compromise in performance if you use lightweight grease.
not always what is recommended but have been doing it for years and it works great. I "water down" lithium with a little Ti-flow.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks- the grease tip makes soooo much sense, and it's nice to know that I don't have to get fancy or weird looking hubs to get a quiet ride.

How available are dura-ace hubs in 9speeds anymore? I haven't seen them on retailer's sites for a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.