Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced "quiet" SS freewheel. The constant racket from my no-name cheap BMX freewheel has become really annoying on morning commutes. It really doesn't bother me it at other times or in traffic, but early in the morning it's starting to grate on me.

Sam in Cincy

· my legs hurt
1,041 Posts
mtb related...

I have run three brands of different freewheels on my singlespeed (before selling the bike) and there are a few candidates:

Shimano freewheels are fairly quiet, but reliability (at least on dirt) is questionable.

ACS claws - before you all jump all over me, hear me out, if soaked in oil are the loudest of the three by far, but are cheap and if you take care of them (soak in oil every now and then, technique, let it sit for an hr or so, with screw driver spin the freewheel in the oil, see how much crap comes out, remove from oil let hang for a day, reinstall and voila)

White industries ENO: are you ready to drop more on a freewheel than many of these posters have spent on their bikes? Fairly quiet, awesome engagement, cool company, highest quality of the three

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
WI FWs quiet!?

I have 4, and the most I would say about their quietness is that they aren't quite as loud as a King hub. Almost though. More pawls = more noise. Otherwise, I agree. Great product. Great company.

The only quiet FW I have ever had was a Shimano, which I didn't use long enough for it to break in and start clicking.

· my legs hurt
1,041 Posts
i thought they were quiet, quieter than my campy hubs, as well as the acs claws when i first got them.

easy solution: never coast

· duh...
9,749 Posts
White Ind ENOs are great quality (by far better than the other 2), but do not qualify as 'reasonably priced', at least in comparison to $12-15 FWs

· duh...
9,749 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
I think it is a reasonable price when you count longevity and reliability.

well yeah, but most people, esp frugal ones, don't see it that way... they see $70 vs. $12 and get all bent out of shape. for me, the peace of mind knowing that it won't blow any possible given moment- like in the middle of a race or epic ride- makes it worth it... plus they can be rebuilt with a new bearing

· Registered
97 Posts
FatTireFred said:
well yeah, but most people, esp frugal ones, don't see it that way... they see $70 vs. $12 and get all bent out of shape. for me, the peace of mind knowing that it won't blow any possible given moment- like in the middle of a race or epic ride- makes it worth it... plus they can be rebuilt with a new bearing
Being frugal (as I am) should make you look at the long run. Paying $70 now for something that will last a long time (so far 2 years of dirt riding and no problems) is cheaper than paying $12-20 for something that you will replace 2-3 times a year (had the ACS piece of junk, never again!). However, getting back to the original question, the WI does not qualify as a quiet freewheel. My $0.02.

Cheers,

· Registered
110 Posts
Shimano is the quietist FW i have used. I will never buy an ACS again with all the clunking noises it makes.

· Registered
12 Posts
Fixed board??

All three are easy to make quiet assuming you are referring to the ratchet noise, not the knocking of the ACS.
With the eno, simply remove the freewheel and pry the rubber seal off the back. Oil it up with some tenacious and silence will be your for a while.
With the ACS and shimano just soak them overnight in motor oil.

B-

· chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
if Sam is indeed in Cincy, then a fixte may or may not be a viable consideration. if he's living in / around campus it's like a mini-San Francisco there. Cincinasty is freakin HILLY as hell, and 12-14% pitches are common.

that being said I rode a 42x15 fixte all over creation there, but that was ten years ago. doing hill starts (and every red light is on a hill) on a fixte will definitely own you the first few times til you learn to either get clipped in immediately or trackstand.

as to quietness I think you'll find the shimanos to be the quietest / best value for singlespeed freewheels. they're all fairly noisy tho, even my shimmy SS cog on my beater MTB is louder than any of my wheelsets including my Campag hubs.

good luck. agree with the above that the only way you'll get silence out of the thing is to 1) not coast and/or 2) go fixed.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes indeed I live in Cincy, suburb of Wyoming to be exact. I've got a ~7% .3 mile climb right out of my driveway. Then there's a 3/4 mile down hill (5 to 10%) before a level stretch in the valley. It's virtually impossible to ride anywhere without climbing. After some experimentation a 44/17 or 70 gi single speed is about all I can handle and still make it back up the hill heading home. Hey I'm 56 and still want to keep my knees.

Sam in Cincy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.