Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My g/f has a 93 specialized allez that she wants to put some new handlebars on. She likes it more than her newer bike, she says it's the feel of steel, but it's hot pink, so the verdict is still out. I will agree the bike fits her very well, except the handle bars are freakishly wide, and she likes her FSA Wing Pros (flat top). Does anybody have any experience with a quill stem adapter? She is mostly a swimmer but enjoys about 2 rides a week with me, where we go anywhere between 20-50 miles at a time. It is a pretty causal pace (to my standard) so not too worried if this hinders performance in any way. I just don't want to buy one if it is complete garbage.

Thanks

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
All the generics are essentially the same (Performance house-brand, K-Alloy, Dimension, etc.). Nitto has the most refined looking specimen but you pay 3x as much. Ben'sCycle has one on Ebay that I'm guessing is a closeout since it's +50% off their website price. If you buy the one linked, you will also need a 1" to 1-1/8" shim for the stem (best quality is made by Thomson).

Just make sure you've got the right size... odds are that if it's a quill stem then it's a 1" type but there are a few frames floating around that use a more modern quill stem (Trek comfort series 7X00, for example). 28.6 mm is the necessary dimension to clamp on a 1-1/8" stem while the quill needs to be 22.2 mm if the frame was built for a 1" quill. 25.4 mm is the clamp size for the obsolete 1" threadless stem and is what most of the quill stem adapters ares sized for. If the box says it will fit, then a shim is included if necessary (I bought one at Performance once and the shim was missing).

If you just want to go cheap, the quill stems with an attached adjustable stem get the job done and seem solid enough in my experience.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I have used them on several bikes and never had any problems with them. IMO, they are a neat way to combine the old with the new if you're more interested in function than keeping the "classic" look.

The stubby adapters (which I prefer) can't be raised much, if at all, out of the fork steerer and have a relatively short stem clamping area. With those, you can't raise a stem much above the top nut of the headset. But that could be gotten around with an up-jutter stem if she needs her bars up high.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Thanks headless and wim for you input and additional information. I'll shop around and order one today or see if my LBS has one.
Sounds good. Here's a conversion I did on an old race bike with one of those stubby adapters. As you can see, there's not much more clamping area left to move the stem up. And if you do, the smaller-diameter lower part of the adapter will start showing, which in my view, looks like crap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.