Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in some nice quill stem options. Hopefully you have some suggestions.

I currently own a Coppi, circa 93'. 1" quill stem is required.

I know about the salsa option. Seems to be readily available and will work fine. I am interested if there are some nicer, custom, or other options I can have a look at.

Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Really, for a classic look it's either a nitto pearl, or a nitto dynamic. That's pretty much it for new parts. Not to mention, they're darn good stems.

I remember Yellow Jersey is proud of their collection of quill stems. Check there.

·
Registered
232 Posts
26.0 is standard (Deda uses 25.8 but works fine with 26.0 stems).

31.8 is now very common as oversize clamp (not aware of any quill stems that fit these).

There is also 25.4 which standard MTB bars and some Japanese road bars use.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Current production

The Nitto stems are the only ones worth looking at of those still in production. Cinelli, TTT, Deda, ITM are all worth a look NOS or used. One of the nicest vintage stems is Shimano's Dura-Ace or 600. Both were made by Nitto and can be found in 26.0 bar clamp diameter. Both have hidden clamp bolts for the bar clamp. Major difference is that the expander on the Dura Ace is a full diameter plug type while the 600/Ultegra is a wedge. Still easily found NOS altough you will pay the current price or slightly more equivalent. Look made a really nice Ti quill stem as well which can be found NOS.

Kuma601 said:
Curious why 3TTT doesn't get much mention? I have the Record 84 stems on my older rides and to me they are nice. I've got some Nitto's as well but I much prefer the 3TTT's given the choice.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
boneman said:
The Nitto stems are the only ones worth looking at of those still in production. Cinelli, TTT, Deda, ITM are all worth a look NOS or used. One of the nicest vintage stems is Shimano's Dura-Ace or 600. Both were made by Nitto and can be found in 26.0 bar clamp diameter. Both have hidden clamp bolts for the bar clamp. Major difference is that the expander on the Dura Ace is a full diameter plug type while the 600/Ultegra is a wedge. Still easily found NOS altough you will pay the current price or slightly more equivalent. Look made a really nice Ti quill stem as well which can be found NOS.

actually cinelli still makes the xa in 26.0 and the 1a in 26.4, they just don't bring 'em to the US
http://cinelli.it/scripts/accessori.php?Id=1&lang=EN&IdAcc=167
http://cinelli.it/scripts/accessori.php?Id=1&lang=EN&IdAcc=168

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.