Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share my rebuilding story.
I went on a weekend trip with a friend and our mountain bikes. Had a blast on the rocky trails, but they were more than my machine-built WTB SX 19's could take. Yes, I should have done this a long time ago, but I've finally taken down the tension and rebuilt the wheel.
When new, it was very true, but was out of round by nearly half a cm. I spent over two hours trying to get the wheel perfect as I can, using the advice from Mike T.
All said and done, the wheel is round to less than 1mm, and true to about 1.5mm with extremely equal tension. I didn't worry about getting it in line more than that 1.5mm, as it's a disc rear wheel, so I wanted a strong wheel first.
I'm sure it'll last a long time, at least, until I get it replaced with a tubeless setup. :cool:

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Great stuff Peanya. I'm proud of you. Yes round and true are nowhere near as important as even tensions (and sufficient tension). I don't bother getting my own wheels too fine anymore as I know that stuff isn't too important. If I do a rare wheel for someone else I get it much more true as that's all most people check to judge its "quality".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts