Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I like waterboarding...
1,164 Posts
Interesting. I wonder what the laws are regarding call recording where it took place. In texas only a single party has to know the call is being recorded (the recorder). If full disclosure of the call is required where it was recorded they would likely have to throw out the evidence as it would have been illegally obtained.

Anyone?

·
E Plurbus Elvis
1,055 Posts
This is old, old news. That recording has been on the web for several years now.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ElvisMerckx said:
This is old, old news. That recording has been on the web for several years now.

yes, I think it is, but i'm still curious as to why Greg is doing this? because he didnt win as many times? keeping himself in the spotlight? general douchbaggery?

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
2cflyr said:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lance-armstrong-20100916,0,2851394.story

I dont get it. if anyone can 'splain it to me, i figgered teh lownge can.
I think this topic could be it's own forum, generated soley from threads deleted from the doping forum.

Fact-based questions aside, it seems that Greg resents the greater off-bike success that Lance has had, and chooses to blame it on Lance being more successful on the bike. According to Greg's immense ego, that simply has to be because Lance cheated. (Note that I am not implying a conclusion to the substance of that allegation either way, simply that Greg's motivation is his ego rather than Lance's guilt or innocence. Lance could have no cloud of suspicion, and Greg would act the same.)

In this logic, he fails to consider that part of Lance's business success might have something to do with his not being crazy as a soup sandwich.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
danl1 said:
I think this topic could be it's own forum, generated soley from threads deleted from the doping forum.

Fact-based questions aside, it seems that Greg resents the greater off-bike success that Lance has had, and chooses to blame it on Lance being more successful on the bike. According to Greg's immense ego, that simply has to be because Lance cheated. (Note that I am not implying a conclusion to the substance of that allegation either way, simply that Greg's motivation is his ego rather than Lance's guilt or innocence. Lance could have no cloud of suspicion, and Greg would act the same.)

In this logic, he fails to consider that part of Lance's business success might have something to do with his not being crazy as a soup sandwich.

well, that makes sense- lance the businessman is quite a juggernaut.

crazy as a soup sandwich- this made me giggle. is this a step above or below bat$hit crazy?

·
I like waterboarding...
1,164 Posts
ElvisMerckx said:
I didnt know this lol. Funny how its making a splashing entrance only now with the investigation in full swing.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
in before the move.

I tend to believe Greg's version of the story; wouldn't you be peeved if your historic legacy was overwritten by someone that you honestly believe to have cheated?

·
10,503 Posts
2cflyr said:
is this a step above or below bat$hit crazy?
Funny - that's what I first typed, but I'm trying to reduce my vulgarity.

Crazy as a sh!thouse rat was the other that came to mind, followed by crazy as a two-story outhouse.

Actually resorted to google to find a non-vulgar simile.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Greg resents Lance success since Greg did it clean and lance didn't....Greg also was the victim, late in his career, of the dawn of the EPO era & believes he lost his chance at additional Tour victories due to competitors doping.....so Lance is the epitome of all that is wrong with cycling (to Greg).

IMO

len

·
10,503 Posts
Creakyknees said:
in before the move.

I tend to believe Greg's version of the story; wouldn't you be peeved if your historic legacy was overwritten by someone that you honestly believe to have cheated?
That's fair enough; but the animosity preceeds the allegations (other than Greg's own 'nobody can be that fast and not be cheating') by a few years.

/At least in the public eye. The inside rumors likely swirled before, and Greg would have been all to quick to latch onto them, IMO.

·
Great White North
1,139 Posts
Creakyknees said:
in before the move.

Well, if you honestly believe that GL was racing clean, then yes, it would make sense to be upset by LA allegedly racing dirty.

However, GL was beating people who openly admitted doping, which could mean that GL was extra, extra special in his talent, to be able to beat others that have a chemical advantage, or it was a level playing field.

Anywho, if LA had won a few TdF's and then gone away, so that GL was still the posterboy of american success at the TdF, then I think he'd probably get along better with LA.

Is that enough speculation to get it moved to doping?

Plum

·
For president!
7,802 Posts

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
danl1 said:
That's fair enough; but the animosity preceeds the allegations (other than Greg's own 'nobody can be that fast and not be cheating') by a few years.

/At least in the public eye. The inside rumors likely swirled before, and Greg would have been all to quick to latch onto them, IMO.
I disagree with that. Find me some public animosity by Lemond towards Lance prior to Greg finding out that Lance had been working with Ferrari. I think that came out around TdF time in 2001.

·
Administrator
12,955 Posts
Moderators Note

il sogno said:
Why is this in the Lounge?

:nonod:
Moved.

·
Administrator
12,955 Posts
2cflyr said:
sorry- thought we could keep it civil.
No worries. Nobody did anything wrong. :)

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
One motivation could be that Greg cares about cycling and doesn't want the sport to get dragged down by doping.

Lance has not been penalized for doping violations. He and his teams have been highly tested and investigated. Now he is being investigated further by the Feds.

·
Registered
273 Posts
mymilkexpired said:
Interesting. I wonder what the laws are regarding call recording where it took place. In texas only a single party has to know the call is being recorded (the recorder). If full disclosure of the call is required where it was recorded they would likely have to throw out the evidence as it would have been illegally obtained.

Anyone?
Not necessarily. It doesn't appear that any governmental entity had LeMond make/record the call, and if that is the case then it is not the fruit of the poisonous tree (Constitutional violation).

The Constitution is a limit on State power, not a regulation on the conduct of private individuals.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts