• Campy Shamal 2-Way Fit

Votes: 19 63.3%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I am trying to decide between these 3 wheelsets and ONLY these 3 since I own all 3.

Me: 6ft and about 185. I am not super fast or slow. I am not an ultra-powerful sprinter. I don't go bananas down hill. Going up hill fast(er) is more important than down.

Where I ride: very hilly area. I am virtually never going on flat ground. I average about 15 mph given the ups and downs.

Used for: my every day wheels.

R-sys: they came on my bike and I rode with them 2 times. They seem to spin up fast and seem very stiff overall. I will be sending the front in for replacement asap.

Rolf Vigor: I just got these. They don't spin up as fast but roll better at speed. The spokes popped for a while on the first ride which seemed scary. There is some pretty bad shudder when on the brakes going down hill over 25mph, though I am using carbon-specific Campy pads, so I am not sure if this is the cause or not.

2009 Campy Shamal: I haven't taken these out of the box yet, and wanted to make my decision before I lost the ability to return them.

Things like "rolls well" or "spins up fast" are subjective and my butt-o-meter may not reflect the real wattage needed to ride these wheels in various conditions. Any mathematical evaluations on what the best options are would be extremely useful.

With a slight bias towards uphill performance, which do you think is the best choice of these 3?

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
R-sys all the way. No other wheels have carbon spokes that 'may fail at any time without warning'. That's a feature that allows me to ride harder and faster than my previous wheels.

·
Naso Unicornis
875 Posts
spawn350 said:
All,

Rolf Vigor: I just got these. They don't spin up as fast but roll better at speed. The spokes popped for a while on the first ride which seemed scary. There is some pretty bad shudder when on the brakes going down hill over 25mph, though I am using carbon-specific Campy pads, so I am not sure if this is the cause or not.
Hi:

Would you let me know if you resolved this? I have the exact same thing on my Rolf Prima Elan. It's not too bad on the front wheel but it's horrendous on the rear wheel. I've tried Dura Ace 7800, Koolstop Black & Salmon pads with negative results. :mad:

I'm back using the Koolstop Black pads and trying to alter the brake pad alignment to see if this will go away. My Campagnolo Eurus wheels do not have such problems but they are 250 grams heavier if that makes a difference.

CHL

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
2 of those wheels are rubbish for one reason or another - pls correct me if i'm wrong, but vigor being AC 420 rims with 14/16 [email protected] 185...hmmm

the shamal is the best quality out of the lot, with the tubeless compatibility. It will however be expensive to fix should something go wrong...I would sell of the others as soon as you get the replacement front wheel and the free aksiums to go with it...

in fact if it were me, i would sell all of them and invest in custom... but i guess that's something you don't want to hear. FWIW, i have custom AC420s and they rock pretty damn hard. with the coin made from selling these 'bling' wheels, you could easily have two custom wheelsets plus change... just sayin'...

·
Overtaxed RBR member
469 Posts
Rubber Lizard said:
R-sys all the way. No other wheels have carbon spokes that 'may fail at any time without warning'. That's a feature that allows me to ride harder and faster than my previous wheels.
That's funny :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Made the decision

So, I ended up putting on the Shamals and they really split the difference between the Vigor and R-SYS. They spin up quickly like the R-SYS and they seem to roll really well at speed like the Vigor (same tires and tubes on all three).

The Shamals brake much better than the Vigor, but not as well as the R-SYS. The Vigors big short coming was the front braking, which I could never resolve. The Vigors shuddered really bad, although the braking power was tremendous, I have to wonder if it was too good.

Handling on the Shamal is good, as was the handling of the other 2. Overall, I am happy with my decision.

I am sure that custom wheels are great, but I am fine with the added expense of pre-built wheels.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CHL said:
Hi:

Would you let me know if you resolved this? I have the exact same thing on my Rolf Prima Elan. It's not too bad on the front wheel but it's horrendous on the rear wheel. I've tried Dura Ace 7800, Koolstop Black & Salmon pads with negative results. :mad:

I'm back using the Koolstop Black pads and trying to alter the brake pad alignment to see if this will go away. My Campagnolo Eurus wheels do not have such problems but they are 250 grams heavier if that makes a difference.

CHL
I am sorry to say that Rolf themselves said there was no resolution to this problem. They said it was part of the way the wheels were engineers with high tension and low spokes. They said that they are experimenting with changes for the 2010 model line to eliminate this characteristic. They also said that this will not affect durability and that they are totally safe to operate while shuddering.

I think it is BS personally. When I say shudder I mean SHUDDER with a sound of parts banging around. It sounds and feels like they are going to fall apart at any moment. I am going to keep the wheels and demand a new set if they can rectify this in 2010.

Until then - Stay away!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
this is really interesting. i had not published any comments regarding this issue because the Rolf Customer Service made me believe i was an isolate case, though they gave me the same BS line regarding their design.
i sent my wheels back becasue after trying them on 3 different bikes, i got the same shudder. i test them on a 2007 Orca, 2008 R3 and 2007 Colnago EP. i told Rolf about this and they told me that all 3 bikes i mentioned had a very flexible head tube but, they were going to test ride them to make sure. of course after a few days they call me telling that they could not duplicate the issue and there was nothing they could do. since my wheels were barely used i asked for refund (since Rolf has a 1 year warranty) from my LBS. they said that if Rolf called them and admit they were defective, they would give me one. well, Rolf did not admit thet were defective but they were willing to get my bike shop a 40% refund. i just went like WTF!! they admit that their design is not meant for any on the frames and forks i tried but they are not willing to issue a refund.
i told them that the power of the web is always downplayed by companies and it always comes back to bite in the A....s, but, they did not care. i told them that i was one of the first to complaint about the Cervelo Sl forks. Cervelo replaced my for for free but, all the bad publicity made them issue the re-call.

Rolf CS did not care. their CS is very polite and professional, but, all they are good at is lip service. there nothing of substance behind them, at least on this issue.
I turned my Vigors into the bike shop and after a long argument with the manager i got a refund. i've doing business with tem for over 15 years and between my wife and i we spend thousands at this LBS a year. the LBS took Rolf's side just stating that their design is clearly not meant for my bikes. i do not see that note published any where on their site.

well, Rolf is not a wheel a i will ever buy again. i wished i had put more miles right after i bought them so i could have issued a better more accurate review on them.

·
Batteries not required
1,035 Posts
spawn350 said:
So, I ended up putting on the Shamals .
Post a picture of your bike!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.