Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rear wheel has a lot of flex under load, front i am not really too worried about.

how does the fulcrum racing 7 match up? reviews look good (and the price is better than 'good')

any other suggestions?

· Registered
2,286 Posts
the f7 wheel is dependable and roughly equivalent to the campy khamsin... very strong wheels ! unless u have to have the red version of the 7s, you could save a little extra dough and get the fulcrum 5 evos.... very good low to mid positioned wheel, not too heavy, still strong, and almost aero, lol... basically its the same thing, but with lighter bladed spokes instead of the 2.0mm straight guage of the f7s... the advantage of the f7s are that they take a very common, very cheap 2.0mm j-bend spoke that you could get *anywhere* in case of breakage...

how much do u weigh, and what are u looking for besides 'stiff'...??

· Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. i weigh 82kg on a bad day and i am looking for... well nothing more than the r500 except stiffer as they are so flexy that the rear mech scrapes past the spokes under a big load - no the hanger is not bent :) reliability is important too, in around 1200km the r500s on this bike have not gone out of true or needed the hubs opened. the type of riding i am doing is flat with some light climbing and the occasional (once a week) big climb. also a few crits but there are not many of those in winter. i generally avoid rain, and it doesnt really rain here in australia anyway. there is an FSA wheelset in the same price range - anyone had experience with the RD-220 ? there is also a shimano OEM wheel i have seen around but i dont know the model.. RS10?, it has straight pull spokes on hubs that look similar to the mavic ones - suspect these are similarly priced? but have not seen them available to purchase. i am aware my current bike is in the 'dont polish a turd' category thus the small budget to organise some stiffer wheels until i get something a bit nicer (which i dont need but i will end up buying anyway)

· Registered
2,286 Posts
i would pass on the FSA product, they have spotty reviews at best...

the f7 would be a good bet, the low low price belies its quality and sturdiness.. sounds like you will appreciate the extra stiffness of the 14 guage spokes... they are decent wheels, my low end campys have survived really well over 15k ... still in good nick which is incredible for a $200 wheelset...

u in melbourne by any chance?

· Registered
47 Posts
I upgraded to Fulcrum 5 Evo's coming from Shimano's R550's. The performance advantage is very noticeable and I'm very happy with them. The roads where I travel aren't exactly smooth so they've gone through several bumps and potholes and are still in true. If you can fit them in your budget then I would highly recommend the Evo 5's.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
alex, fair enuff mate, i had the same thought, but no, campy is solid...

guth_c.... sure, but the current f7s and f5s are the same wheel, but that the f7s run straight guage spokes in reg j-bend... should be a tad stiffer... and ANY shop worth a damn in Aus can replace this spoke... very cheaply... the f5s use lighter bladed spokes similar to cx-rays and are hammer ended... as weird as it sounds few shops here even carry cx-rays...

also u can get f7s online for under $200 which is pretty damn good... f5s tend to run quite a bit more.... maybe worth it if u have to have thin bladed spokes, but if you wanta durable wheel that can be rebuilt any where, any place on the cheap, f7s are it....

· Registered
2,286 Posts
PBK is my choice... my bad with the pricing, i had the khamsins in mind, they are only like 160 AUD, shipped come out to 210!, not sure why the fulcrums are a bit more, but they are lighter b/c they have 7 fewer spokes

i highly endorse PBK, got a few things from them no problemo... just keep your orders (in the future i guess!) safely below $1000 AUD all told to avoid the duty threshold, remember that ! good thing they pushed that out, it used to be a $300 threshold @ 30% tax a few years ago, i got stung by that once... my bad... hold your breath that the new gov't does not reverse this...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.